bottle bombs chokecherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regjill

Reaction score
I bottled my choke cherry wine a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had stabilized it well before I back sweetened with honey but I guess I did not. Now I 've had two bottle bombs. should I pasteurize, as the sticky by pappers suggests for cider, or should I dump the whole batch into the carboy, wait until fermentation stops again, stabilize and sweeten with sugar this time? I am really hoping that pasteurizing will fix this. any input is appreciated.

I bottled my choke cherry wine a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had stabilized it well before I back sweetened with honey but I guess I did not. Now I 've had two bottle bombs. should I pasteurize, as the sticky by pappers suggests for cider, or should I dump the whole batch into the carboy, wait until fermentation stops again, stabilize and sweeten with sugar this time? I am really hoping that pasteurizing will fix this. any input is appreciated.

Not sure what choke cherry wine is, what kind of bottle (wine or champagne) it is in, but I wouldn't try to pasteurize them if they are already bursting. The added heat during pasteurizing will - more than likely - make the rest of them burst because of the amount of carbonation in them.

Darn it! I agree with Hedo-Rick- if the bottles are already bursting, the heat from pasteurizing will push them over the top and the corks will pop out and the bottles may explode.

I'd gently pour them back into a carboy and let them finish up, clear, and try again once it's fully clear and no longer dropping any lees.

Back