Gnome Root Beer extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosen1

Reaction score
My kids always wanted to make homemade rootbeer so I bought this extract for them to play with. So they whipped up the recipe from on the back of the pouch of the extract. When they were done with it ready to bottle, I noticed that there was no yeast left over. Long story short, they mixed in all of the yeast in the 5 gallon batch. It's been over three days and I have not had any bottles blow up but with that amount of yeast, will it have a different taste to the rootbeer??

The amount of yeast won't be the issue. Yeast would reproduce even if you used a small amount.

Since you made 5 gallons, the issue is that yeast will not only reproduce, but will consume sugar and expel alcohol and co2. They will do ao until the alcohol concentration is too high, or there is no sugar left. That will be the cause of bottle bombs, or drunkenness.

Make sure they're in the fridge and they all get consumed fast. Even in the fridge, they'll continue to ferment (co2&alcohol) but at a slower pace. My guess is a week or two, fridged, but someone should have a better timeframe.

Now if it weren't for all that, I'd say it might taste a little yeastier than if all of it wasn't used, but nothing major.

Back