Adding flavor extract to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just kegged my brown ale that's supposed to be a clone of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Right now the keg is sitting at room temp without co2 connected, I just purged the headspace, sealed the lid, and disconnected the lines. So I have two questions.

One, can I carbonate the beer and then add the hazelnut flavor? I'm thinking of doing this so I can taste the brown ale profile first and see how it stands on its own. If it's good I'll probably only add hazelnut to half the batch; thinking 5 gallons of hazelnut beer might get old after awhile, plus I like the idea of having 2 beers instead of one!

Two, is it safe to pour the nut extract into the keg, purge the o2, and lightly shake the keg to disperse the flavor? Since there's no o2 in the keg there wouldn't be a risk of oxidation would there? Thanks in advance!

Yup, everything you have stated above it right on. No worries if you just follow those techniques!

Hi guys. I just kegged my brown ale that's supposed to be a clone of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Right now the keg is sitting at room temp without co2 connected, I just purged the headspace, sealed the lid, and disconnected the lines. So I have two questions.

One, can I carbonate the beer and then add the hazelnut flavor? I'm thinking of doing this so I can taste the brown ale profile first and see how it stands on its own. If it's good I'll probably only add hazelnut to half the batch; thinking 5 gallons of hazelnut beer might get old after awhile, plus I like the idea of having 2 beers instead of one!

Two, is it safe to pour the nut extract into the keg, purge the o2, and lightly shake the keg to disperse the flavor? Since there's no o2 in the keg there wouldn't be a risk of oxidation would there? Thanks in advance!

What I did with my Raspberry Wheat, was to put my beer in the keg, then pour the flavor extract in the beer.

After that, I carbed it up and vented any remaining air in the keg.

Although it may work, i wouldn't suggest carbing the beer first, then opening it to put in the flavor.

Thanks for the tips.

The brown had a sour tinge to it so I decided to add flavor to the whole batch. Just dumped about 3oz. of natural hazelnut extract into the keg, tasting after each oz. It hides the sour and actually brings out the malt character some. I'm gonna put co2 on it today and I'll post an update in about a week! Hopefully this turns out to be decent...:drunk:

Latest posts

Back