Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

My dad was born in Munchen and I was introduced to beer at a young age. I could get sips from his glass anytime he had one. Never saw him drunk. Other than a few teenage drunks I've never been drunk myself. Yea a little tipsy, but not to the point that I didn't know what was going on. Now I drink maybe 2 a day and after a hard hike maybe 3.

My two daughters got to taste both beer and wine as they grew up. Beer didn't do anything for them and they still don't do beer. We use to have wine tasting at home and my dad, wife and the two girls would taste different wine w/me. As far as I know neither of them overdue any alcohol.

One daughter's husband is on the wagon for over 10 years and there is no alcohol at there house. I worry bout my grand kids learning hot to drink to enjoy in and not just to get drunk.

In countries/societies that don't put such a heavy stigma on drinking there seems to be less problems. At least that has been my experience in talking to people who grew up in them. Myself I occasionally got a sip from dad and he would take me to the bars to shoot pool or throw darts (obviously I didn't drink at them, lol) so it was never a big rebellion thing for me to drink when I was in my teens. I went to parties and drank and whatnot but seldom over indulged like most teens. Heck I was frequently the taxi even before the term designated driver became a catch phrase. :p

When I have kids sure. Beer is good for everyone including children regardless of the "law"

I must say absolutely not. The law states the drinking age is 21, so I will not authorize under age drinking.

I understand the argument behind revealing the mystery behind alcohol to kids, and after living in europe for quite a while I see both sides of the coin. However, the law is the, and as one who is tasked with enforcing laws it would show a lack of integrity to allow my children to break laws. If anything they are held to a higher standard.

My 18 year old son was home from college this Xmas and he tried my homemade brew and liked it. I was really proud to have one of my beers with my son.

I have only one kid below 18,& only one likes beer. My oldest is multi-handicapped,& doesn't like anything with bubbles. So I guess that's good.

squirrelly said:
I must say absolutely not. The law states the drinking age is 21, so I will not authorize under age drinking.

I understand the argument behind revealing the mystery behind alcohol to kids, and after living in europe for quite a while I see both sides of the coin. However, the law is the, and as one who is tasked with enforcing laws it would show a lack of integrity to allow my children to break laws. If anything they are held to a higher standard.

I had sips of beer growing up. It isn't an integrity thing it is a moment shared with your kid. Most people use it as a teaching moment. Hell, if you were tasked with upholding the law because you live to a higher standard then you would be busting people for spitting on the sidewalks. Im not saying laws aren't good. Im just saying some laws cant be applied to every situation all the time. Sometimes someones best judgement has to be used. Most people have good judgement most of the time.

Yeah, I have 7 siblings and we all got the occasional nip from Dad's bottle (usually something like PBR or Stroh's). Thought it was perfectly normal because, well, it was.....

You might want to make sure you know what the law actually is then ;)

Only a minority of states actually prohibit the consumption of alcohol by minors in the home under the supervision of parents. A few states are even laxer than that. 42 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

I disagree, but understand where you're coming from if you're in the legal system. Bottom line is you have to do what you believe is right. Hell, at least you care about your kids unlike some parents.

That said, my dad gave me a sip of beer when I was 5. I think it was Bud. He never had to offer again. Embarrassing to say, but it's probably why I hated beer until brewing my own.

Both my family and in-laws are 2nd and 3rd generation military...some are from and/or spent much of their lives abroad...gives one a different perspective on alcohol. When you look into prohibition, it was one of the worst things to happen to this country.

My parents also had the liquor cabinet in easy to access locations when we were young, but didn't worry about us digging into it for anything. Though we were occasionally allowed something in our hot chocolates. We also knew by way of stories of when the parents got drunk and what it did to them. I wasn't too curious about what it was going to be like at that point.

My brother had the occasional sip from my dad's bottle when he was young... Uhh... He drinks more than I do though, and has gotten socially drunk. He also works in marketing and gets to drink at work all day. He was aware of what it did by the time he was 21, but I think he still had more than a few back in the college days. Not so much now, he'll just socially drink without getting to that point. Makes it hard to bring beer back for him to test though.

I also have had the occasional sip back then including wine. I don't feel the need to go over the top, even socially (though I have social problems and will continuously feel the need to drink something, I know enough to alternate water/juice etc with alcohol).

But neither of us have ever felt in our age of years that alcohol was something restricted and special or mysterious. (Ok, I lie a little, it's mysterious in a way that makes it fun to make and create and flavor balance). But there wasn't a huge coming of age sort binge. My brother also only drinks socially, but doesn't feel the need to drink. Personality may have some bearing on some of this too.

My view is that we should educate them and let them understand what it does by way of explanation and also tipsy-drunk vs sick-drunk, plus the reaction/decision making area as well as light drinking. (Watered down wine etc). I've heard stories where people are over the top and actually partying with the kids and letting them get drunk, that's a bit too far for me. But I also think that other people's kids, even family, are their kids and it's their decision as to what to do.

Dad let me taste whatever he was drinking. And on special occasions I would get a very small glass of Riesling.
So alcohol was no big deal. Never been drunk. Never felt the need to binge drink.

I have a 3 year old and now that I brew beer, he is becoming very aware of all the steps that go into making this stuff that mommy and daddy drink. Oh, the stories he must tell in preschool.

My 18 year old son helps me brew sometimes and I do let him taste the results every now and then.

This is not quite true. I'm actually surprised at how few people realize this, but most states have an exception to the drinking age if it is provided by a legal guardian or in the child's home.

Underage children will drink. As a parent, I feel it is my responsibility to teach my children about alcohol just like everything else.
I would rather teach them to appreciate a good beer and how to drink responsibility than for them to learn from some buddy that got hold of some beer.
My children are allowed to drink in my house. I do not demonize alcohol just because the law says I should.

Didn't realize some states allowed it.

But, I think about other laws and the interpretation. Think about driving speed limits. In Michigan, I was taught to drive 5 over, because that was acceptable, even if illegal.

Do you apply the same reasoning to drinking? Is you son taking a sip of homebrew like going 5 over? I mean, I wouldn't drive 90 through my neighborhood, just like I wouldn't split a 30 bomb with my son.

Just a thought.

My daughter gets a little curious when I'm sipping a homebrew while playing with her on the floor sometimes, so I'll let her take a tiny nip. She seems to like every beer she's tried ;).

I'm definitely going to allow her to have a little at home, because I want her to learn to drink with me, someone who almost never gets drunk, and not with other teenagers who will be doing it specifically to get drunk.

As one who is tasked with enforcing laws, I've spent the last 10 years dealing with people of all ages who've never learned to respect alcohol, sometimes with horrible consequences. Considering I value my duties as a parent much more than my duties as a law enforcement officer, I'm going to direct my integrity towards raising my kids to have proper respect for our favorite liquid. ;)

when I was 18 my parents started allowing me to drink at certain events. (christmas, NYE, packer games)

in WI, I could even drink at a bar as long as my parents were there. That law might have changed, but it was legal when I was 18.

not really sure how much respect it taught me. i mean, i don't usually overdo it today, but college was....a different story....

Do you apply the same reasoning to drinking? Is you son taking a sip of homebrew like going 5 over? I mean, I wouldn't drive 90 through my neighborhood, just like I wouldn't split a 30 bomb with my son.

As compelled as I might be to agree with this line of thinking... at least in states like mine where it's completely illegal under any circumstances, some government and law enforcement authorities regard provision of alcohol to a dependent minor as tantamount to child abuse.

So... if you don't live in a parental consent state, be very careful, or you may find yourself on the ugly end of a child protective services audit.

Both of my parents drank throughout my childhood. Growing up in a German family (and being a Catho-holic), I was exposed at a very young age to alcohol. I am thankful they taught me how to respect alcohol when I was young. I love good drinks, homebrew, etc., and had the college experience. I believe that the people I have met who are sheltered from all alcohol are the people who end up in trouble with alcohol later in life, especially in college.

Plus my dad drank Red Dog. That was my first beer experience. Needless to say I didn't touch beer for quite a while following that.

Teach your kids to respect it regardless if you let them drink it or not.

Edit: Note that I'm 24, no kids, just speaking from my short life lessons.

I'm surprised people have mentioned the law here and no one has yet quoted the irony of a 21 year old drinking age yet we can send 18 year old kids to fight wars and possibly be killed.

When I was growing up the only time I was allowed to have a drink was on New Years and maybe another special occasion or two. It was usually just a small glass of champagne or wine. When I was 16 I started drinking with friends, indoors within our houses hanging out. We never really did the drink in a park thing. We also never got into trouble and enjoyed ourselves, though of course there were a number of times we got plastered and sick.

My step father always told us, and my mother, that he doesn't mind if we drink in the house because he personally felt it was better than us drinking out in a park somewhere getting into trouble, and we respected him for that. I've traveled all over the world many times and I've been all over Europe many times as the wife and I have our favorites spots we go to. The 16 year old kids in Germany, for example, drinking beer are better behaved than most legal young adults that drink here.

Rev.

Reminds me of Barry Mcguire's "eve of destruction" from our day. you're old enough to kill,but not for votin. You don't believe in war,but what's that gun yer totin?...You can bury your dead,but don't leave a trace. It's your next door neighbor! But don't forget to say grace... Really speaks the hipocrisy of it all. That's why when we were that age,we pushed to have the law changed to 18 for 3.2% beer.

like many others, when i was growing up dad always let us nab sips off his brew. carlin's black label or stroh's usually. when we were a bit older, like over 10 or so, on holidays like thanksgiving and christmas we were allowed a glass of wine with the family dinner and on new years, we were always allowed a glass of champagne to toast in the new year with friends and family. when i turned 18, i was allowed to have a beer or two in the evenings with my parents if i was staying at home and not having friends over. whereas i wasn't an angel by any means, i've never been one to drink for the purpose of getting a buzz.
i have two teenage step sons and we aren't as permissive as my parents were, a sip of homebrew or a glass of champagne on new years isn't unheard of. our older boy enjoys home soda making and we allow him to naturally carbonate his soda with yeast, under adult supervision and with adult inspection of the soda after carbonation. he's learning to respect yeast for what they do to our beverages, be it producing carbonation in his soda pop, or alcohol in beer and wine. i believe that not only does that teach a good lesson about what alcohol really is, it gives him a hobby he can carry with him throughout his life. i think it's all about teaching responsibility about drinking and alcohol. it's a very rare day that either of us get drunk, and even more rare for that to happen when kids are around.
FWIW, my attitude about this is 'laws shmaws', i feel that for the most part the drinking laws in the US are, as another poster stated, the morals of a few being made law for the whole. at 18, not only can a young man or woman fight and die for questionable causes our nation takes on, they can have a say so in who makes the laws of our nation. i think if we're expecting what amounts to older children to take on such adult responsibilities, the least we can do is help them become responsible adults, not just when it comes to drinking, but in every aspect of life.
except for in a handful of states, a minor can consume a beverage in the home with parental supervision.

Grumpy I actually cite for going five over. If its a residential and the posted speed limit is 25, if there is school in session it is 15. Going 5 over in that case results in a 55.00 cite. Same for construction zones, fines are doubled, so 5 over in a construction zone is usually automatically 150.00 cite. The chief and the city manager get quite upset if we let things like that go being that the state is broke.

With that being said, the military taught me some very important things, and one was I am not a lawyer. My job is to enforce the law as was written to the letter. So long as you go by the book, you can't go wrong. I don't enforce the spirit of the law, but rather the letter. I have seen a lot of people turned from NCOs into airmen, and berets disappear because of underage drinking, DUI, and providing to a minor. I use the same integrity and standards I learned in SF and apply them to the civilian world. The fact that I'm still reserve still holds me to the standards my wing commander set as well as core values. Alcohol offenses have a zero tolerance policy, and will result in article 15 in the least. This includes providing a "sip" to a minor.

While each state may allow parents to be irresponsible, the federal government says the drinking age is 21. No state law supersedes federal law.

If my chief learned I was supplying alcohol to a minor, in the very least it would be days on the beach, an IA opened, and probably my patches stripped with my career in law enforcement over.

While each state may allow parents to be irresponsible, the federal government says the drinking age is 21. No state law supersedes federal law.

Not true, actually.

I assume you are referring to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984? Both the letter and the spirit here regulates the sale of alcohol only, and explicitly delegates decisions about private consumption to the individual states. Furthermore, the act does not actually legislate a national drinking age, but "encourages" the states to a uniform 21 through national highway apportionments. If a state wants to set the age at 18, for example, it would be explicitly allowed to do so, though it would lose 10% of its highway money from the feds.

You can think about the letter and the spirit of the law however you'd like, but as a LEO I'd hope you'd at least consider it your responsibility to know the contents of the laws you're talking about.

Just because it is law does not mean that it is right.

I believe the following is an Iowa law please let me know how much time I should spend in the klink for breaking this one.

Chapter 195.
Protection of Hop-Growing Interests.

Section 4. Size of boxes for picking hops.

The standard size for all boxes used in picking hops shall be 36 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 23 1/4 inches deep, inside measure.

motobrewer said:
this is the dumbest thing I've ever read on HBT. hands. down.

I'm starting to realize why HBT received the nomination it did from the BN at the awards show. It was comments like these.

You also may want to refer to the increase of alcoholism and crime during prohibition. When things are illegal is supports a black market and sparks interest. I would much rather have my kid drinking with me than on a dirt road somewhere.

this is the dumbest thing I've ever read on HBT. hands. down.

Not the dumbest thing I've read on here but I basically support the calling out of ridiculousness of the quoted statement.

Squirrelly, with all due respect I understand your mentality and respect for the law. But to be 100% undeterred from ever questioning it is rather defeatist. And to go further and call people irresponsible parents for not unwaveringly following federal law is rather rude and insulting.

Rev.

So I guess we only follow those laws which we agree with now, and disregard the rest?

I'm sorry I don't have that luxury, and as responsible adults/role models you shouldn't either. I agree some laws are frustrating and seem silly, but that doesn't mean we get to break them; we write our legislators and encourage them to change said laws. At least law abiding civilized people do.

So I guess we only follow those laws which we agree with now, and disregard the rest?

I'm sorry I don't have that luxury, and as responsible adults/role models you shouldn't either. I agree some laws are frustrating and seem silly, but that doesn't mean we get to break them; we write our legislators and encourage them to change said laws. At least law abiding civilized people do.

The fact that you are in law enforcement scares me. You obviously don't have the education for it - like the cops that mistakenly arrest topless women protesters here in NYC because they aren't educated about the law enough to know it's LEGAL!

Read the responses that have been posted. No one is taking about breaking laws exactly. Here's a quote from the Wiki page for the Federal Minimum Drinking Age Act, "While this act did not outlaw the consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under 21 years of age, seven states and Washington D.C. extended its provisions into an outright ban. These states are: Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Vermont. The minimum drinking age is a state law. However, most states still permit "underage" consumption of alcohol in some circumstances".

Get with understanding the thread and the law ;)

Rev.

Grumpy I actually cite for going five over. If its a residential and the posted speed limit is 25, if there is school in session it is 15. Going 5 over in that case results in a 55.00 cite. Same for construction zones, fines are doubled, so 5 over in a construction zone is usually automatically 150.00 cite. The chief and the city manager get quite upset if we let things like that go being that the state is broke.

With that being said, the military taught me some very important things, and one was I am not a lawyer. My job is to enforce the law as was written to the letter. So long as you go by the book, you can't go wrong. I don't enforce the spirit of the law, but rather the letter. I have seen a lot of people turned from NCOs into airmen, and berets disappear because of underage drinking, DUI, and providing to a minor. I use the same integrity and standards I learned in SF and apply them to the civilian world. The fact that I'm still reserve still holds me to the standards my wing commander set as well as core values. Alcohol offenses have a zero tolerance policy, and will result in article 15 in the least. This includes providing a "sip" to a minor.

If my chief learned I was supplying alcohol to a minor, in the very least it would be days on the beach, an IA opened, and probably my patches stripped with my career in law enforcement over.

Actually the federal drinking age is 18.
National Minimum Drinking Age Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Each state has the option to have 18 as the drinking age, but federal funds for roads would be decreased.

And I'm glad I don't live near you. Police should not be out there to raise money by giving speeding tickets for 5mph. Policing like that gives a negative view of police, and creates and 'us vs them' mentality. I'm glad I live in a town where the police realize we are neighbors and I pay their salary. 5mph would get you nothing more than a warning, and still serve the purpose of reducing speeds in a school zone.

Also - isn't the margin of error on speedometers + radar detectors above 5mph? So those fines wouldnt hold up in court.

Back