Siphon or tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedsterr

Reaction score
I have just finished sorting out my fourth batch and I'm having a bast! (but I think fermenting beer all over the house is getting to my other half's nerves) One thing that has been a thorn in my side throughout the whole process has been siphoning (this could gave something to do with the fact that I am still using the suck it yourself syphon from my first kit) I am due to extend my fermenting capacity and am looking at fermentation bins with taps! Now I have heard lots about siphoning from siphon types to techniques, but very little where people use a tap to bottle or transfer there brew?

So tell me, what's your feelings on siphon vs tap?

Look at Williams brewing fermenting buckets they have a valve on them that helps keep yeast and hops from being sucked in.

Both of my fermenters have taps that are just far enough above the bottom to leave the trub behind. I connect the right size tubing to the tap,then into the bottom of a bottling bucket I made with an airlock grommet. It has an Italian tap with a small stepped spout of red plastic in this thick lugged body that needs a 1" hole to connect.
I used the Dremel to cut out the marked hole that just touches the black line under the logo & text (the one with the beer,wine,grapes pic on front). The tap came with 2 seals & the jam nut. So I can siphon to about 1/2" or so from the bottom,& tip a little to get all but the last 1/8" with a little gritty stuff left.
So,I just take the 5/16" tube for my auto siphon & connect it to the step on the tap,& bottling wand on the other end.
It can hold some 7G clear full,so I can easily use it for either the 5G FV,or my cooper's FV,which can do up to 25L (6.6G). I just bottled my wife's ale yesterday,& it's just slightly hazy. So it works pretty good,& no leaks or siphoning woes.

Auto siphon. That's it.

LAutoSiph.jpg

Latest posts

Back