Use hot water from rubber CFC to clean system = rubber beer on next batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I am reworking my old brew setup to incorporate a new CFC and keggle. I am thinking of capturing the hot waste water form the CFC in my cooler mash tun to then be circulated through the system for cleanup.

I will be using my outdoor water hookup, so I am planning on getting a RV water supply hose to fill the system and also supply water to the CFC. I could get a second RV water hose for the exiting waster water to run back up to the mash tun, but the CFC in the middle is good ol' black rubber. So I don't really see the point, since that'll taint the water already.

Do I stand a chance of introducing a rubbery taste into my system if I use post-black rubber hose water for CLEAN UP only? I will probably use the RV hose and fresh, cold water for rinsing.

See attached diagram for my plan.

My beer hoses are 1/2" thermoplastic hoses. I need to make a few more to allow for flexibility and reconfigurability in the system. Most connections are McMaster brass QDs, except for garden hose connectors on the supply and CFC.

fluid path.jpg

I can only speak from personal experiences on my equipment so your milage may vary.

I used the exhaust water for a 2nd batch once during a double brew day, never again as the beer did pickup the hose taste.

I however do use the collected exhaust water for cleanup and have not had any problems.

Hope this helps..

That's great info. I sort of suspected it wouldn't work for brewing.

But for clean-up, as long as I rinse with water from the "clean" RV hose, I was hoping it'd be fine.

Back