What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wifey fell asleep. Gotta fly out early tomorrow so ill have this then go to bed.

image-3996697153.jpg

I've been looking forward to this one since I pulled it out of the box on Friday. It just sounds so good and I am not disappointed. Nice piney/dank hop character with some sweetness and a fairly dry finish. Thanks, xMalachi.

20130527_010500.jpg

Jbird said:
Do you guys like it in cans or bottles better? I see a lot of cans on here. I have heard that bottles are better and I have to agree. Just a thought.

I felt the same way. Then I started drinking Oskar Blues. Cans have come a long way. Obviously they're not useful to us home brewers, but they are just as good as bottles, if not better since absolutely no light gets in to skunk our precious beer! There's no metallic taste due to the lining in the cans, so there's no problem there either. I've also heard that there's cans now where the entire top can come off essentially turning the can to an instant "glass". Speaking of "glass" cans, they also exist. Glasses in the shape of a can. A few guys on here have em. Check the pics in this thread. They're in there somewhere. So, in essence, get used to the cans. They're not going anywhere. Learn to like em.

I felt the same way. Then I started drinking Oskar Blues. Cans have come a long way. Obviously they're not useful to us home brewers, but they are just as good as bottles, if not better since absolutely no light gets in to skunk our precious beer! There's no metallic taste due to the lining in the cans, so there's no problem there either. I've also heard that there's cans now where the entire top can come off essentially turning the can to an instant "glass". Speaking of "glass" cans, they also exist. Glasses in the shape of a can. A few guys on here have em. Check the pics in this thread. They're in there somewhere. So, in essence, get used to the cans. They're not going anywhere. Learn to like em.
I wonder if this would be true under very long term storage conditions. IE: 5+ years like is typical with wine.

Stauff's Elephant Mountain Imperial Stout. Great roast character and is there some vanilla in there, Stauff? It's got a great full body. So full in fact that I had a little trouble pouring vigorously enough to get a decent head on it. Very malty finishes really sweet in a good way. Thanks for sharing, Stauff!

20130527_022200.jpg

bobmcstuff said:
Yeah their Cornish IPA is actually St Austell Proper Job - and it's bottle conditioned with the yeast from primary so you can reculture the actual St Austell yeast from it.

Meantime is good stuff.

I've never had the patience to reculture from a bottle. I do know a landlord of a local pub who always has Tribute on cask. Keep meaning to ask him to fill a jar with the trub when he is changing casks.

Anyhow, back on topic. Now I'm drinking coffee, busy day clearing out the shed planned so will save the ale until after the last trip to the tip.

Sly Fox Brewing not far outside Philly makes that can where the entire top pops off. I actually prefer cans to bottles...easier to clean up and no light struck beer. They're perfect for camping trips.

Coffee while I curse my in laws for calling in a surprise visit. "We haven't seen your new place yet" I was just about to mash in on a wonderful saison. Grumble grumble grumble.

Channel66 said:
Coffee while I curse my in laws for calling in a surprise visit. "We haven't seen your new place yet" I was just about to mash in on a wonderful saison. Grumble grumble grumble.

I say brew on.

Yesterday we ate loads of pulled pork and I did a monster tasting with some friends consisting of:

Fullers ESB
FW Pale 31
FW Union Jack
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Unibroue Don De Dieu
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Jester King Salt Lick
Boulevard Sixth Glass

image-4264480593.jpg

I'm t-minus 8 hrs to hosting an extended family cookout including the extremely senile aunt/uncle who drive everyone insane. I'm going to do a BIAB for some starters and get a sour mash Berliner going, before then. I don't have yeast ready to brew, unless I want to start another long term sour or do another brett beer. Maybe I'll make a sour blonde and use some of the Sterling whole leaf I won this weekend. Never used leaf hops before and maybe a low hop beer would be a good start.

Might have another mug of tea or a breakfast Heady, might as well enjoy cleaning the house.:mug:

Might have another mug of tea or a breakfast Heady,

First of all, I hate you.

might as well enjoy cleaning the house.:mug:

Second of all, I think you're insane. Or really drunk already. And if you're really drunk already, you ain't doing any cleaning, which will give the illusion that you enjoy cleaning the house. Let me know how it turns out! :rockin:

I'm t-minus 8 hrs to hosting an extended family cookout including the extremely senile aunt/uncle who drive everyone insane. I'm going to do a BIAB for some starters and get a sour mash Berliner going, before then. I don't have yeast ready to brew, unless I want to start another long term sour or do another brett beer. Maybe I'll make a sour blonde and use some of the Sterling whole leaf I won this weekend. Never used leaf hops before and maybe a low hop beer would be a good start.

Might have another mug of tea or a breakfast Heady, might as well enjoy cleaning the house.:mug:

you gonna use a bag for them hops?

Hill Farmstead Double Citra. Don't think this would be that hard to clone, if one were so inclined.

image-886711445.jpg

Alpine Duet
Alpine Nelson
Alpine True Hoppiness
Firestone Black Rye IPA
Ballast Point Durado IPA
Green Flash Imperial Red Rye
Alesmith ESB

that is my current goto list....

Woohoo!! Im going to make a 3 gallon batch of that goodness again this up coming weekend

Nice I should of made a 3 gallon batch to but i thought I'd start with a 1 gallon batch first do you think it will be a problem that I couldn't find clover honey? So I got wildflower honey instead. Any thoughts

Dude you need a buffer zone!! I got 200 miles to inlaws and 1200 miles to my parents not exactly pop in distances :ban:

Nice I should of made a 3 gallon batch to but i thought I'd start with a 1 gallon batch first do you think it will be a problem that I couldn't find clover honey? So I got wildflower honey instead. Any thoughts

I say any honey varieties will work. The base honey doesnt matter. Most ofvtge aromatics will go away. I used clover because it is widely available around here and cheap lol. 1 gallon is a perfect size for mead. Im making 3 gallons so I can share and send off in trades plus have a mead collection going.

NIZZLE said:

Yes, you should've made a larger batch. That stuff is awesome! After tasting some, I'm considering putting it on my to brew list.

I say any honey varieties will work. The base honey doesnt matter. Most ofvtge aromatics will go away. I used clover because it is widely available around here and cheap lol. 1 gallon is a perfect size for mead. Im making 3 gallons so I can share and send off in trades plus have a mead collection going.

How much head space should I leave in the carboy?

Cornish IPA. It's pretty good, but kinda wish it was hoppier... Exceptionally refreshing though.

ForumRunner_20130527_182007.png

My Loose Cannon clone. So very tasty.At 7%,I have to keep reminding myself that it is not a session beer,if a long session interests you.

Just chilling today!

Homebrew (Black IPA), Brooklyn Summer Ale and a Hoptimum!

Back