"Super Saison" Wyeast 3724

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed what I call a "Super Saison" (OG-> 1.088) October 31st, about a month ago. The beer is still in the primary and sitting at ~ 1.030 SG. I am using wyeast 3724 which I have read, both here and on wyeast's, to hang around 1.035 for awhile before finishing. How long is "awhile"?

Also listed on the wyeast website is the apparent attenuation range of 76-80%. I'm sitting around 69% apparent attenuation currently and I am getting anxious to Xfer to the secondary to clear then bottle. The fermentation started at 65* and slowly ramped up to ~70*.

Listed below is my recipe as well as a link to the graph of my gravity checks. By this graph approximation, I will reach my final gravity after ~50 days. Does this seem like too long to anyone else? Should I just Xfer it and not have the dry finish that Saison's demand? Am I screwed to have a sweet saison?

RECIPE TITLE:
Saison
RECIPE SIZE:
quantity="4.0 gal"
GRAIN BILL:
Belgian pilsener quantity="10.00 lb" extract="1.037" color="1.8" type="Grain" use="Mashed
Belgian wheat quantity="3.00 lb" extract="1.038" color="1.8" type="Grain" use="Mashed
CaraVienne quantity="1.00 lb" extract="1.034" color="22" type="Grain" use="Mashed

HOPS BILL:
Kent Golding quantity="1.00 oz" alpha="5.1" time="60" type="Pellet
Styrian Golding quantity="1.00 oz" alpha="4" time="45" type="Pellet
Saaz quantity="1.00 oz" alpha="3.5" time="30" type="Pellet
Saaz quantity="0.50 oz" alpha="3.5" time="15" type="Pellet
Saaz quantity="0.50 oz" alpha="3.5" time="10" type="Pellet
Saaz quantity="0.50 oz" alpha="3.5" time="5" type="Pellet
Saaz quantity="0.50 oz" alpha="3.5" time="0" type="Pellet

MASHING NOTES
130F for 30 mins.
152F for 45 mins.
158F for 10 mins.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HydjaQFtmLi4thJro8JHNA?feat=directlink

Rouse yeast, put carboy in water bath with aquarium heater set at 80-85 F.
+1

My Saison went from 1.071 to 1.006. 3724 will attentuate very well, but it has to be kept warm or it will stall and never finish no matter how long you wait. I've been using a heating pad, but will be going to the aquarium heater for my next batch.

I used a heating pad to keep my saison at 85F after letting it free rise into the upper 70's. It took 6-7 weeks but I got it down to 1.002 from 1.054.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to raise the temp to ~ 85F and see how it goes. I checked the SG again tonight and I'm still dropping ( after 33 days in the primary ). I'm at 1.023 now. I would like to get down below 1.015.

Thanks again.

Ok, I got the primary up to ~80F and the SG is now at 1.015. That's about 83% apparent attenuation which I am quite pleased with. I have Xfered to the secondary which is in the keezer at 44F. I plan on keeping it in there for a few weeks before bottling.

As an afterthought, would this yeast benefit from intermittent feeding with simple sugars? 83% is good, but a lower final gravity would be nice for this style. I know I could have done better with my initial fermentation temperatures, but is there anything else I could do to speed things up next time?

Thanks, ZB

Ok, I got the primary up to ~80F and the SG is now at 1.015. That's about 83% apparent attenuation which I am quite pleased with. I have Xfered to the secondary which is in the keezer at 44F. I plan on keeping it in there for a few weeks before bottling.

As an afterthought, would this yeast benefit from intermittent feeding with simple sugars? 83% is good, but a lower final gravity would be nice for this style. I know I could have done better with my initial fermentation temperatures, but is there anything else I could do to speed things up next time?

Thanks, ZB

How big was your starter, and did you add O2 through a stone?

Both good points.

The starter I used was 1.5liters (intermittently shaking) which may have been a little low.

I used an aeration "wand." The type you hook up to your drill to swirl O2 into the wort. Certainly not as controllable as the O2 injection via a bottle.

I'll bump up the starter size a bit and think about investing in a O2 bottle in the future.

Thanks, ZB

Back