After bottling, straight to cold temp or keep at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ive tried looking around for an answer to this question before posting this thread with no clear cut answer...

after I seal my bottles, should I leave them at room temperature for a week or more , then put them in the fridge?... or can I put the bottles right away in the fridge...?

I'm worried if I put the bottles in the fridge right away it wont carb right, but Im thinking if I do put them in the fridge right away it will help keep the sediment at the bottom of the bottle (im hoping it will cake and stick to the bottom actually)

I know someone is going to say, why not just leave it at room temp, then just leave it in the fridge longer... I was just wondering if there was an added benefit to putting them in the fridge right away...

Im using a cooper's bitter Ale extract malt kit for this batch...

Thanks so much guys, this site rocks!

I would leave room temp for at LEAST 3 weeks, then 1-2 weeks in fridge then drink..

you can drink before then but that's what I feel to be the good time to drink.

bigger beers take longer to carb also note

so then, I gotta wonder, if its room temp for 2-3 weeks, then put in the fridge, why keep it in the fridge any longer then it needs to be to be cold enough to drink?

why leave it a 1-2 weeks in the fridge if its not going to do anything else in there?

does it help keep sediment at the bottom? Ive heard that it helps, but really how much? is it worth it?

itll pack the yeast cake, and get rid of any chill haze.

also, put one in the fridge for a day and one for 2 weeks and taste them. the fridge conditioning adds some flavor meshing, it's hard to describe. it's worth it to keep as much as you can in the fridge in my experience. but yeah it's just a preference really.

itll pack the yeast cake, and get rid of any chill haze.

also, put one in the fridge for a day and one for 2 weeks and taste them. the fridge conditioning adds some flavor meshing, it's hard to describe. it's worth it to keep as much as you can in the fridge in my experience. but yeah it's just a preference really.

ahh cool cool, thanks for the info everyone, you guys are awesome!

man, waiting is the hardest part...

I would recommend you trying on day 10 and then maybe once every 3-5 days after day. that way you get an idea of how it all changes and happens

anytime before a week and it'll not only be uncarbonated but will be very odd tasting.

It's my understanding that the yeast will become dormant in the fridge when it's bottled due to the colder temperatures.

However, if you were lagering (I know little of the process), would this still hold true?

I don't know much about lagering.

If you fermented your beer in a refridgerator then you made a lager. If you didn't more than likely you made and ale. But either way whether it was an ale or a lager, doesn't matter, you STILL carb both type of beers the same way. a Minimum 3 weeks @ 70 degrees or higher.

I explain the process in great detail here; Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

well I mean in terms of lagering you fermented in the low 50s, then diacetyl rest then actual close to 32F lagering period.

as far as whether the yeast go dormant during the lagering period I don't know.

well I mean in terms of lagering you fermented in the low 50s, then diacetyl rest then actual close to 32F lagering period.

as far as whether the yeast go dormant during the lagering period I don't know.

Lager yeast doesn't. ale yeast does.

It's really doubtful he made a lager for his first brew.

Ok, so everyone says condition at room temp for 3 weeks but what do you do when you are kegging beer. That gets put into the keg and then put in the fridge right away. Please explain!

Ok, so everyone says condition at room temp for 3 weeks but what do you do when you are kegging beer. That gets put into the keg and then put in the fridge right away. Please explain!

With kegging you are force carbing...so the co2 isn't forming naturally (and slowly) like it is with bottle conditioned beer...That's why it is called force carbing, they are forcing it to carb...;)

They are not relying on the living yeast to do the brunt of the job...so there is no concern about putting the yeast to sleep with cold temps.

BUT you will find if you look around here, that most experienced brewers DON'T put it into the fridge right away, they too condition their beer for a couple weeks at room temp. They may put in on the gas, but they often don't put it into the drinking rotation til they've kicked a keg, so they ARE conditioning their beer as well. It's really only the newer brewers that rush that too. `

3 weeks at room temp, bottle or keg. You can also just prime the keg with sugar without co2, turn it upside down to make sure it doesn't leak, purge the air in a day or two, or three, or four, or . . . .

Back