Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this on Saturday, BIAB. Had a couple of issues. First, I forgot the Lactose because it was in the bag with the priming sugar and just plain forgot it. Then, only got to 1.046 into the carboy. Fermenting away now but, I expect it to be kinda thin without the lactose. I guess we'll se in a few weeks.

Brewed this on Saturday, BIAB. Had a couple of issues. First, I forgot the Lactose because it was in the bag with the priming sugar and just plain forgot it. Then, only got to 1.046 into the carboy. Fermenting away now but, I expect it to be kinda thin without the lactose. I guess we'll se in a few weeks.

You can add the lactose at bottling/kegging since it's not fermented anyway. Just dissolve it in some water and boil it for 10 minutes before adding.

Looking for some help identifying some inconsistency bottle to bottle. I've had 15 bottles so far from my batch of this and some are very much like others describe. They have some caramel sweetness upfront followed by a little milk chocolate in the background, and then finish with the nice coffee/stout bitter/roastiness. Other bottles have been underwhelming, lack the depth that other bottles have, leaves me wanting more of what should be there.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? I'm trying to see if it's possibly time in the fridge before drinking, drinking temp, or some other variable.

Costs me $16 to make a 2.5g batch, and I can use half the hops, Yeast + $4 to make another SMaSH. Definitely making this again next week, cannot wait, I will probably keep this on rotation...

My version plus 1 vanilla bean

1397261476093.jpg

Follow up to my last post about 10 days ago. Seems like all bottles are consistent now and are turning out like I had hoped, nice velvety mouthful with just a touch of caramel/chocolate in front and a smooth cold brewed coffee taste in the back. Took about 3 months from brew day, 10 - 11 weeks in the bottle, to get to this point but worth it. Definitely one one of the better cream stouts I've had!!

Not sure if it was the WLP002 that made it take so long to smooth out or just the ingredients themselves sicne this was the first stout I've made. I'm thinking of making this again with WY1450, Denny's Fav, just to see what difference these two yeast strains make.

Hi All,
I’m just jumping on this recipe now after 105 pages so I haven’t had time to read everything.
Sorry if it’s been asked already but what would an appropriate dry yeast for this?
I read in the first few pages that a high attenuator is better so that would suggest that I should use Nottingham rather than S-04 or is it one of those beers you just have to brew with a liquid yeast?
Thanks!

Hi All,
I’m just jumping on this recipe now after 105 pages so I haven’t had time to read everything.
Sorry if it’s been asked already but what would an appropriate dry yeast for this?
I read in the first few pages that a high attenuator is better so that would suggest that I should use Nottingham rather than S-04 or is it one of those beers you just have to brew with a liquid yeast?
Thanks!

I think I used S-05, it was either that or S-04, not able to check cause I'm at work, but it turned out bangin, best beer I've ever had.

I used US-05 as well. The malts do all the work in this recipe. You just need a yeast that will do its job and then get out of the way.

If anyone brews this amazing recipe do yourself a favor. Toss 10 Andes candies into a one gallon jug and siphon off a gallon after initial fermentation is done and let it sit for a week or two. I did this as well as two other gallons of experimental secondaries and the mint one is amazingly good (toasted coconut was good and blueberry was ok but not as strong of a blueberry flavor). If you like chocolate mint stouts you will love it. Brew it, do it!!! Original version is an amazing stout as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is usually pretty significant but this batch was less than most because it has so few hops. I also get a little more when I BIAB (like I did this batch) than when I use a traditional mash tun.

Bleme,

I plan on brewing this tmrw as a BIAB also. I've got a yeast cake of US-05 itching to start chewing on this goodness. :ban:

Do you mind posting addl details on your process/numbers along with any deviation from the OP's recipe?
Do you whirlpool or use any other trub management steps apart from lining your bucket with the paint strainer?

Thanks

I used 7lbs of 2-row, 2lbs wheat and 1lb lactose in mine, mostly because my supplier only sells in 1lb increments and I didn't feel like storing that stuff.

My sparging process is more involved than most BIAB'ers as I squeeze, sparge, then squeeze again but nothing special. I overshot my efficiency and ended up at 1.074 but there are worse problems a guy could have.

I don't use whirlflock or gelatin or anything like that - just a yeast nutrient. I cool in an ice bath and gently stir the whole time, just to cool at quickly as possible, so I guess that is almost a whirlpool. When I dump it in my lined bucket, I pour slowly from pretty high up for extra oxygen and stop when it gets too lumpy. When I pull out the paint bag liner, I have to roll it around a bit because the bottom usually clogs up. Then I beat the wort for 5 minutes with an electric whisk and pitch the yeast.

I ended up doing this as a BIAB, following the OP's recipe except used 1# lactose, 10 oz of flaked oats, and 0.8 oz of magnum. I added this to a us-05 yeast cake from an amber and fermented under pressure at 10 psi for 5 days - FG hit 1.020 - before cold crashing for 3 days. Intend to transfer off the yeast today and finish carbonating.
Although under carbonated the sample I tried yesterday was really good prbly a little too sweet from the lactose. Preliminary change for next attempt would be to go with less lactose.
I liked the creamy mouthfeel given by the oats.
Contemplating doing a secondary with oak chips has anyone done that with this recipe?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed 20L batch of this, all grain, pretty much the same recipe, used the same yeast.

I fermented it for a month, kegged 1.5 week ago. This beer was amazing on day 3 on tap when I first tasted it. Now one and a half week since I kegged it is amazing.

I will brew 40L next time and always have this on tap

Thanks for the recipe!

Used US-05 for this, after a week or so bubbling has slowed in the airlock. Wondering if 30 days in fermentation is neccesary?

Use your hydrometer to know if fermentation is complete. Airlock activity is not a good sign of active fermetation. I would at least wait out 2 weeks before you start checking gravity.

Just brewed this. OG 1.058-1.06 (depending on temp) I felt like I diluted too much due to color but I was adding cold water after a 4.5gal final boil volume to bring down the heat here in TX. First time with DME and it made a real frothy head (hops seemed to actually kill the head)

I made a yeast starter yesterday with Wyeast 1084 and am trying to cold crash it in the fridge (been there for an hour or 2) I plan to pitch half and save some for an Irish red I want to make in a month or so.

I feel I messed up the mash temp: 20 min @ 140F, heated up to 170F and then let cool for some time but I dont think that will matter as this should get most of the fermentable from DME. I actually 'fly sparged' with the sprayer on my sink using hot water since I knew I could use a lot of it. Maybe 1.5-1.75 gal wort. Actually ended up freezing that wort in Ziplock bags because my brew day ended up today instead of yesterday.

After reading through the whole thread I see some people mentioning the body is a little thin. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm just wondering if I should brew the recipe as is or use 1 lb of lactose to increase the body.

After reading through the whole thread I see some people mentioning the body is a little thin. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm just wondering if I should brew the recipe as is or use 1 lb of lactose to increase the body.

Mash at 154 or 156?
Add .5 lb more wheat?
1/2 lb of Lactose is pretty standard for a 5 gallon batch. Tends to get too sweet I guess.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Well I picked up everything to brew this partial mash style. I'm itching to brew it and can't wait to try it. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait a week or two.

I brewed a saison yesterday and was already worried about the ambient temperature in my non-airconditioned apartment in Flagstaff, AZ. After waking up to an inflated bucket seconds from explosion, I realized my concerns were not unfounded. It was too warm for my stick on thermometer to even record a temperature, meaning the wort is at at least 80 degrees. And that's the coldest closet in the place.

So, long story short, I'm going to quickly kill the keg I have in my kegerator so that I can use it as a nice cool fermentation chamber. Shouldn't be a tough task with a quick text to some buddies. But the controlled temp will be especially important for this beer over the saison because I am using WLP004, which has a range of 65-68. The saison yeast is WLP565 and has a range of 68-75 so it will hopefully deal with the heat a bit better.

Anyways, I can't wait to brew and taste this. The only change I made to the recipe was the yeast strain and that was just based on supply. Will post my results, if I remember to at least.

I just found the other day a bottle of this I hid from myself that was originally brewed on 3/29/13. It was still quite a pleasure to drink. Nice to know this beer will age well.

How necessary is a starter for this beer? I have a smack pack of the Wyeast 1450 (same as in the OP). Can I just pitch it straight in or will I have significantly better results using a starter?

let it sit in the fermentor for 3 weeks or so at 70F, made a 2l starter and pitched about half the slurry. On bottling checked FG at 1.03, tasted a bit sweet. Definitely felt thin. Used partial mash for this one but feel like I should of done AG. Figure I will have to let this sit for a while before it mellows enough to enjoy. Tried one of the bottles I left in my garage (~90F) after 3 days (bottle bomb test vs remainder stored at 70-80F) and it was mildly carbed when I tried it but too sweet. Initial thought was some oatmeal would help make this more of a smooth and creamy sweet drink.

let it sit in the fermentor for 3 weeks or so at 70F, made a 2l starter and pitched about half the slurry. On bottling checked FG at 1.03, tasted a bit sweet. Definitely felt thin. Used partial mash for this one but feel like I should of done AG. Figure I will have to let this sit for a while before it mellows enough to enjoy. Tried one of the bottles I left in my garage (~90F) after 3 days (bottle bomb test vs remainder stored at 70-80F) and it was mildly carbed when I tried it but too sweet. Initial thought was some oatmeal would help make this more of a smooth and creamy sweet drink.

I may be misunderstanding something. Was 1.03 a typo? Was it 1.030 or 1.003? Because the first would tend to make it sweet, the second would tend to make it thin. Do you recall your mash profile (time/temps)??

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

Brewed this a little over a month ago (AG). I started carbing it a little over a week ago. The carb mouthfeel tells me it is "close" to the desired carb level, but alas, there just isn't much head retention.

That aside, this is a really good brew. Thanks for the recipe!

Well I picked up everything to brew this partial mash style. I'm itching to brew it and can't wait to try it. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait a week or two.

I brewed a saison yesterday and was already worried about the ambient temperature in my non-airconditioned apartment in Flagstaff, AZ. After waking up to an inflated bucket seconds from explosion, I realized my concerns were not unfounded. It was too warm for my stick on thermometer to even record a temperature, meaning the wort is at at least 80 degrees. And that's the coldest closet in the place.

So, long story short, I'm going to quickly kill the keg I have in my kegerator so that I can use it as a nice cool fermentation chamber. Shouldn't be a tough task with a quick text to some buddies. But the controlled temp will be especially important for this beer over the saison because I am using WLP004, which has a range of 65-68. The saison yeast is WLP565 and has a range of 68-75 so it will hopefully deal with the heat a bit better.

Anyways, I can't wait to brew and taste this. The only change I made to the recipe was the yeast strain and that was just based on supply. Will post my results, if I remember to at least.

Well, so far so good. Brewed on 6/27, and checked gravity today. The OG was a bit higher than expected at 1.069, but the WLP004 Irish Yeast has done a great job at 67˚ in the chamber and brought it down to 1.020, the same as expected in the recipe. I gave it the mandatory sample test and was impressed already. The only thing left to decide is whether to keg or bottle. Would love to keg, but I would like to do another batch after this and as I said in my original post, it looks like I'll need it more as a ferm chamber than a kegerator.

Grain bill I used on this one:

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt
14.1 oz Pale Chocolate
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
4.0 oz Carafa III

Brewed in February, bottled in March, have one left. It was consistently awesome throughout ( I probably started drinking them after a week or so in the bottle). I didn't notice a great deal of change in flavor over time, perhaps a bit more roasty later in its life.

Great stout

:mug:

Believe it was 1.03

It is a little sweet - not overly so. I drank a case and the second case is sitting in the front room with a box of freeze concentrated Ed Wort apple wine. The beer is ok, the body seems thin for what I like. I think some oatmeal to make creamy would go a long way. I don't really detect a lot of noticeable flavors (chocolate, coffee, etc.)

The recipe is fine - similar quality to commercial type brews but I don't find myself drinking it much. Even bought some coors light yesterday (although it's upper 90's outside).

The shipwreck saison is cold crashing now and that tastes pretty amazing flat. For stouts I really enjoyed Guinness draft in Ireland and if I had to get cans there it would be Murphy's. Not quite the same after transit across the ocean. In the US I like Samuel Smith and there is one organic English brewery that sells in green bottles the shape of bullet whiskey - St. Peter's.

I have been looking forward to brewing this for a while now. I've been out of brewing for about 8 months now but finally brewed it yesterday. Followed the all grain recipe pretty much dead on. Only thing is i miscalculated and overshot my water during the mash and forgot to adjust for temp when measuring preboil gravity so I thought I missed my target and ended up doing a 2 hour boil on 7.5 gallons down to 5.25. When i realized my mistake i was already in the last 30 min of the boil (did I mention I haven't brewed in 8 months?). I ended up overshooting OG by a bit (i think i ended up around 1.064). It tasted great before pitching the yeast so hopefully it just makes for a slightly stronger beer. I did make a 3 day/2 step starter w/ Denny's so hopefully the yeast is up for the task. Can't wait to try this. Plan is to let it sit until the 31st then keg and carb and hopefully be ready for NFL kickoff.

Back