Sam Adams Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
I couldn't wait for this to come out because I love it. But geesh has anyone else had this this year? Its overly malty and flat! Very little head and no lace at all. :mad: Its not just one bottle like that so far, it appears to be the whole case. :confused:

I picked up a case of this as well today. Mine had great head when poured. Might want to check your glasses and make sure they dont have anything in them. I do agree that is more malty than last year. I always say, give me overly malty, or give me hop haven!

I bought a six pack last night and experienced the same thing. I think maybe the overly malty flavor is due to the low carbonation levels. It's not bottle conditioned, so why so undercarbed?

I kinda thought the same thing but thought I was being a diva. I am glad to know my beer sensory isn't that off. It's such a bummer on one hand because I wait so long for it to come out, but at the same time it's 10x better than the SA Octoberfest I DIDN'T have back in April.

I kinda thought the same thing but thought I was being a diva. I am glad to know my beer sensory isn't that off. It's such a bummer on one hand because I wait so long for it to come out, but at the same time it's 10x better than the SA Octoberfest I DIDN'T have back in April.

Edmond Ok, thats cool. I lived in El Reno for awhile

I had a couple last night, I was not impressed. Lack of carbonation, and not a quality representation of a marzen.

I thought the same thong!!!I ass you meed it was just my palate evolving.Maybe it's just this years batch.It's still the best beer that SA puts out though.(close tie to black lager and cream stout) :mug:

EDIT: I realize I typed "the same THONG" But I choose to leave t :)

Oh that's easy. It was right after the May 3 1999 tornado's! 78 of them in one day was enough to tell me to carry my skinny tail back to ole Virginie :drunk:

I thought the same thong!!!I ass you meed it was just my palate evolving.Maybe it's just this years batch.It's still the best beer that SA puts out though.(close tie to black lager and cream stout) :mug:

EDIT: I realize I typed "the same THONG" But I choose to leave t :)

Hmmm. "I ass you meed it was ...". Might want to stay away from heavy machinery till the morning.

I had it from a keg and it was flat.

Very malty too. I thought it was good.

BTW for anyone else does malty equal and almost metalic type coppery flavor?

I couldn't wait for this to come out because I love it. But geesh has anyone else had this this year? Its overly malty and flat! Very little head and no lace at all. :mad: Its not just one bottle like that so far, it appears to be the whole case. :confused:

I'm in the same boat with ya, picked up a case of it a few weeks ago and thought the exact same thing. Pretty dissapointed...

Had the SA Oktoberfest last weekend at a buddy's and it was very good. No issues with carbonation at least. the malt character was definitely up from last years batch but is that such a bad thing?.

Terje

i had some on draft 2 nights ago.. it had no head retention and had alot less flavor than i remember.... also i have been drinking a lot more ipa since then and i had just started brewing ... that would explain a little

I had my hands on a case yesterday, but then changed my mind and went with Stoudts Oktoberfest. Not disappointed in the least. I may even go as far as to call this beer "awesome", or at least semi-awesome.;)

I LOVE Oktoberbest brews! SA Oktoberfest was the reason that I got into homebrewing. I got tired of running out of Oktoberfests in March and having to wait 6 months to get some more. That being said I have had a case of SA already and it was excellent as always. No gripes from me. Although I am working on some Great Lakes Oktoberfest and I am very impressed.

...Although I am working on some Great Lakes Oktoberfest and I am very impressed.

I think that Great Lakes changed their brew this year and for me, it beats out Sam's this year. I drink a TON of Great Lakes and Sam Adam's Okts, and I really think that GL got it right this year...

If you can find it though, pick up a 6 of JW Dundees Oktoberfest. This one was hiding from me the past few years and I think it may be my favorite this year...

I'll have to get some this year.

In 2007 it was pretty decent and malty, last year it seemed to be lacking a bit, I like it malty.

Maybe like Bobby_M said my perceptions changed.

Funny, I just had a bottle of this last night for the first time this year. I really enjoyed it last year and prior years but I was underwhelmed with it. Mine also seemed flat as some have mentioned. My beer taste has developed a lot over the past year though so I think that might be more the issue.....

same here - the SA just didn't vibe with me this year - so I picked up some Spaten Ofest and that was much better.

Latest posts

Back