My first year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehr

Reaction score
What do ya think ?
img1533t.jpg
img1543z.jpg

img1542u.jpg

img1541w.jpg

img1540w.jpg

img1539g.jpg

img1535c.jpg

img1534p.jpg

img1544.jpg

Holy crap man! Those are all first year?!?!? How much are you watering? Did you fertilize your soil?

I water every other day and I built the soil with sheep dung, composted cow manure and black dirt. I cant wait until next year !!!

Pat

Question for ya,
The blue rings, Is that a full container underground or just a ring to mark the plants?
Are they all 1 kind?

sheep dung eh? are they yours? and what you feeding them?
Can i mail you some pot seeds! hehe JK man, looking good, guess you found your calling

Question for ya,
The blue rings, Is that a full container underground or just a ring to mark the plants?
Are they all 1 kind?

They are 55 gallon drums cut into thirds with the bottoms cut out to keep them above ground level, this land stays wet for to long in the spring I think if I didnt do this they would rot in the ground.
There are 6 or 7 different kind.
Pat

sheep dung eh? are they yours? and what you feeding them?
Can i mail you some pot seeds! hehe JK man, looking good, guess you found your calling

The sheep have been dead for 10 years my bud across the road has a barn full of this stuff.

Pat

They are 55 gallon drums cut into thirds with the bottoms cut out to keep them above ground level, this land stays wet for to long in the spring I think if I didnt do this they would rot in the ground.
There are 6 or 7 different kind.
Pat
That's a really smart way to build smaller size raised garden beds.

O.k got a dumb question for ya.

In veggie garden if tomato's or peppers and more commonly corn have 2 differnt varietys side by side they will start to cross germinate.
I have had peppers start out one thing at the start of the year and by the end they have changed complete shape.

With hops growing side by side will they cross germinate?

In veggie garden if tomato's or peppers and more commonly corn have 2 differnt varietys side by side they will start to cross germinate.
I have had peppers start out one thing at the start of the year and by the end they have changed complete shape.

Hops that flower are only one gender female I think.

Pat

For that to happen you would need male hop plants. What we have are female. Even then only the seeds would be a cross between the two varieties. Cross pollination wouldn't change the existing rhizomes.

Back