Business Plan for a Microbrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
One of the last 2 classes I have to take before I graduate is a Small Business Entrepreneur class where the final project is a 30 - 40 page business plan. I, naturally, decided to do mine on a microbrewery.

Does anyone have any good sources of information for how much a typical microbrewery sells / spends? Finding equipment prices is hard enough, never mind how much you actually sell your beer for and spend on malt & hops & yeast.

Any other bidness plan input is greatly appreciated. Who knows, if I get financing for my brewery, I might come here when I'm hiring. :)

I imagine prices would vary a lot based on your location. For our recent bulk grain buy, we purchased from a distributor (I think) in the bay area (CA) and had it shipped to northern california. shipping for the one pallet of grain (42 bags) was about $140-150. Below I've pasted in the price per pound on the different malts they had available. most of these were from Great Western malting company, which is middle of the road price wise. There's definitely room to go higher.

Munich $0.59
Brown $0.85
Vienna $0.59
Rosted Barley $0.86
Black $0.86
Choco $0.86
Crystal 15, 40, 60, 75 and 120 $0.69
Flaked barley $0.65
2 row $0.56
Pale ale $0.56
Wheat $0.59
Pilsen $0.62

I don't really know what's common practice in terms of yeast used. Sierra Nevada pays a company to maintain their original strain, and they get small shipments as needed that are built into massive starters.

This sounds really interesting. If you need an editor, or just somebody to read through and proof it, give me a shout.

You are just looking for a straight microbrewery? Or Brewpub?

The plan is for a brewery, however there is a timeline in the plan that (as of now) is 5 years deep, one of the plans is to open up a brewpub. A hop growing project isn't far behind the brewpub on the timeline.

Back