When to add the Nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Ok, the more I read, the more I get confuzzled....Some people say at add the yeast nutrients in the primary, some say after you transfer to the secondary. Some say right away, some say after the initial fermentation....

Can anyone give me the straight scoop?

You can use it best in increments. A little at mixing up the must, a little a few days later if fermentation is sluggish, a little near the end of primary. We have a FAQ with our resident expert, Hightest, giving great advice. I'll find a link.

Ok, the more I read, the more I get confuzzled....Some people say at add the yeast nutrients in the primary, some say after you transfer to the secondary. Some say right away, some say after the initial fermentation....

Can anyone give me the straight scoop?
Unfortunately there is a lot of "mis-information" out there - old recipes, old books, old methods.

The good news is that there are a few sources of information that will help you learn mead making methods that produce consistent results: Ken Schramm's book, Oskaar (on GotMead), and our FAQs. Each of these sources promote the newer methods, but in a somewhat different manner.

The FAQs (posted here on HBT, and on my website) were structured to answer the questions I frequently answered as a forum moderator elsewhere.

Your question is but one of them... ;) After reading the FAQ feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Back