WLP080 Cream ale blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effingbeer

Reaction score
I am wondering about the fermentation profile as far as primary ferm temps and lagering.
Should I hold at lager temps and allow to warm up at the end to engage the ale yeast, or begin at the low end of the stated range(65-75) and move to lagering temp afterward? Or is lagering a waste of energy and I can just cold condition in the keg in the fridge? I am not looking for beginner advice, more thoughts on

(Stupid iPhone)

Looking for thoughts on how different temperature programs may affect the flavor profile of the beer.
Basically the same grain bill as Brewing Classic Styles cream ale

You got it right. Ferment on the low end, then into the keg for lagering/cold conditioning. You can always raise the fermentation temp a few degrees near the end, can't hurt.

robfar said:
You got it right. Ferment on the low end, then into the keg for lagering/cold conditioning. You can always raise the fermentation temp a few degrees near the end, can't hurt.

So cellar temps(55f) or blue Rocky Mountain on the can cold?

msa8967 said:
I would not go lower than 55 F for the primary fermentation for 3 weeks and then you can lager below 40 F if you like. Are you planning on kegging this beer or bottling?

Thanks for the reply. Kegging. I pitched yesterday at 60F and raised to 62F overnight. It's really going to town. It has a ton of yeast that parked on top and a lot of activity in the wort. I plan on keeping it there for a week or so, then warming it up a few degrees to let the ale yeast clean up. Hopefully that will dry it out as much as possible. After a few rounds of sampling/tasting, I will keg it and put it in the fridge.

I love this blend at 62-64F, works great and requires very little (if any) lagering. I just fine the beer in the keg and let it sit for a week while it carbonates, and then I'll just jump the brite beer over into an empty keg and it's ready to go.

iäm planning on using this for a Anchor Steam clone. what do you think?

It won't give you that expected yeasty fruit hit, but I use WLP080 for my Cali Common and love it. If anything, it will be more like Anchor Steam than a beer made with the SF Lager yeast- I think homebrewers overstate the yeast contribution to Anchor Steam.

It won't give you that expected yeasty fruit hit, but I use WLP080 for my Cali Common and love it. If anything, it will be more like Anchor Steam than a beer made with the SF Lager yeast- I think homebrewers overstate the yeast contribution to Anchor Steam.

I made two consecutive batches of Cali Common with one using wlp810 and the other us-05. Both were very good. I think I'll try the wlp080 next time. Sounds intriguing...

so this seems to be fermenting very slowly. i pitched cold and fermented at about 13C. then after about 10 days when it seemed there was no action i racked to 2ndry and dryhopped. after a week i bottled (i know i should have taken OG reading, its what i get for being lazy). after about 10 days i opened a bottle and it exploded.

so i am thinking that it either has a bug or i bottled too early. i wont throw out the batch because i ve had batches like this clear out, instead i put them in the cellar and try to forget about them for the next few months.

so this seems to be fermenting very slowly. i pitched cold and fermented at about 13C. then after about 10 days when it seemed there was no action i racked to 2ndry and dryhopped. after a week i bottled (i know i should have taken OG reading, its what i get for being lazy). after about 10 days i opened a bottle and it exploded.

so i am thinking that it either has a bug or i bottled too early. i wont throw out the batch because i ve had batches like this clear out, instead i put them in the cellar and try to forget about them for the next few months.

13C is pretty cool, which explains your slow ferment. WLP080 is a blend of ale and lager yeast, which means that likely only half your yeast cells are working at full potential- the ale yeast may even be dormant.

White Labs recommended temperature is 18-22C, though that's a little warm for my taste. I get good results around 15C but will go as high as 17C. The reason your bottle exploded is that you fermented too cold, so the beer wasn't finished when you bottled it. The yeast will continue to work on the sugar left in the beer (there's a lot) and blow up the rest of your bottles. Get them to refrigerator temps and drink fizzy sweet beer, I guess? If you leave them at fermenting temperature , they will all explode.

13C is pretty cool, which explains your slow ferment. WLP080 is a blend of ale and lager yeast, which means that likely only half your yeast cells are working at full potential- the ale yeast may even be dormant.

White Labs recommended temperature is 18-22C, though that's a little warm for my taste. I get good results around 15C but will go as high as 17C. The reason your bottle exploded is that you fermented too cold, so the beer wasn't finished when you bottled it. The yeast will continue to work on the sugar left in the beer (there's a lot) and blow up the rest of your bottles. Get them to refrigerator temps and drink fizzy sweet beer, I guess? If you leave them at fermenting temperature , they will all explode.

thanks, this is exactly what i thought. the rest of the bottles i put into my cellar which is now about 2C, hopefully that is enough to make the yeast dormant. i'll take my chances and gamble with the clean up. see what comes of this.

Back