Last few glasses of a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
I finished my first keg a few days ago. The last few glasses seemed to get a little lighter in color, and watered down in flavor. Is this a common side effect of finishing a keg, or should I have made some adjustments to my gas pressure?

If it helps: I tapped the keg a few weeks ago, and the whole carbing process had been kind of messy, but the middle beers from the keg were great. Really creamy mouthfeel and nice flavor.

For me, the last few glasses tend to be the best. Yeast and sediment are gone, no chill haze left, and carbonation is fantastic.... just before it blows.....Yes when a keg kicks, it blows... :D

That hasn't been my experience over the last year. The first few are a bit off because of the yeast but after that they are fairly consistent.

I bet that part of the beer got frozen and you were actually drinking eisbier until the last few...

i'v had that experience with wheat beer. After 3/4 of the keg is taste like a totally different beer. I suspect is all the yeast that's gone. While it taste totally different, it taste very good , not watered down.

i'v had that experience with wheat beer.
I have to agree with the others. Probably ice, but I didn't think of Wheat. Kicked a Hefe keg earlier this week.:( The last handful of draws had lost a lot of the haze associated with the style and become very clear. But it didn't have a "watered down” flavor. Was still a very tasty beer.

+2 for Ed- My beer gets better the lower it gets. Other then the excessive foam on the final kicking of it, it's GREAT! Probably the extra conditioning/aging a bit... It sounds to me like ice floating in your keg is what you got, but haven't brewed a wheat beer yet- Have to keep that in mind...

I just kicked my first keg of Ed Wort's Bavarian Wheat (freaking awesome, by the way, brew it now!) and I noticed the last 1/4 or so was clear instead of cloudy. Still tasty but I missed the authentic look.

I guess I'll just have to crack one of the case of bottles I have left. Love 10G batches. :D

It was in a room that doesn't have insulation, and I think it did freeze briefly at one point. That would explain it.

There is one thing that I have no control over as of yet in my brewing. That is temperature control.

Thanks

Back