Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lacking blood oranges, I used texas ruby red grapefruits. Came out fantastic. Pick your favorite or best available citrus and it will be very good.

I'm brewing a form of this tonight, but I'm using fresh homegrown wet hops instead of dried / purchased, and instead of blood oranges I'm using peaches that I picked last Sunday locally.

Should be tasty :) Franken-Wheat! :mug:

Jsmith82 said:
I'm brewing a form of this tonight, but I'm using fresh homegrown wet hops instead of dried / purchased, and instead of blood oranges I'm using peaches that I picked last Sunday locally.

Should be tasty :) Franken-Wheat! :mug:

Kegged it Thursday

I'm going to brew this up this week. It's weird that there aren't any steeping grains. Should I use some? Carapils for head retention? Or should I just go with the recipe, as stated?

I'm going to brew this up this week. It's weird that there aren't any steeping grains. Should I use some? Carapils for head retention? Or should I just go with the recipe, as stated?

My very first batch I followed the recipe. It was my first non-kit beer and it turned out great. Future batches turned out good, but didn't have as good head retention for some reason. The last batch I brewed up was my first created recipe (AG) which has a little carawheat... starts off with a thick head on the pour and has great head retention to the last sip! Very delicious. Glad I found this recipe to begin with... now I need to find some Blood Oranges since they are in season.
:mug:

By the way, my avatar picture is of my first glass of my first batch.

Yea in season! Going to brew this with the club in a couple of weeks, have simplified my iteration a bit:

15 gallon all grain

30lbs wheat malt
10lbs pale malt
3lbs Caramunich 60L

3oz Saaz @ 60
2oz Hallertauer @30
2oz Hallertauer @10

30 small or 20 large blood oranges, zested, fruit cut up to small pieces, pitched with yeast once wort has cooled.

OG est: 1.082
FG est: 1.020
ABV est: 7.8
IBU est: 21

Can't wait!

Just opened my first couple of bottles of this - great recipe and great beer! Added a regular orange for some flair too...

LDXu5IL.jpg

Any thoughts on adding the oranges to the primary after fermentation is complete, or alternatively adding them to the keg in as bag and racking the finished beer on top?

I'm actually going to make a 7gal batch, keg 5gal and bottle 2gal. I'm doing 7gal bc I have a 6gal carboy and a 2gal fermentation vessel.

For most of the ingredients I should be able to just add 40% more and get the same result in a larger batch. But a bit lost on the yeast. I plan on using WLP320. For the carboy, one vial should be fine. What about the 2gal ferm. vessel? Should I use a whole vial or a portion of it?

Really excited to brew this!

Hey guys. Noob question here. If I am going to use DME, it comes in 6lb packs but this recipe only calls for something like 5.28lbs. What would happen if I added all 6lbs of the DME? It will raise the gravity, but will it make any other difference? (taste/mouthfeel)?

Sorry that I am dumb haha

Hey guys. Noob question here. If I am going to use DME, it comes in 6lb packs but this recipe only calls for something like 5.28lbs. What would happen if I added all 6lbs of the DME? It will raise the gravity, but will it make any other difference? (taste/mouthfeel)?

Sorry that I am dumb haha

Use all 6lbs. You'll be fine. IBU's will be slightly slower, but won't make a huge difference. You'll have a slightly stronger beer by ~.5%

Back