Favorite WINTER beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it's a winter beer per say but I like me a good bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine in the winter.

Just cracked my first ever bottle of SNCA 15 min ago... It is delicious I must say!! That being said I enjoy an IPA all year round, and in that category Bear Republic Racer 5 is hard to beat IMHO

Just cracked my first ever bottle of SNCA 15 min ago... It is delicious I must say!! That being said I enjoy an IPA all year round, and in that category Bear Republic Racer 5 is hard to beat IMHO

I dont drink alot of hoppy styles, but Racer 5 is a very nicely done brew.

I prefer Stone's IPA over it though.

I'm leaning more toward the malty and stout like flavors of Breckenridge Brewery Christmas ale over the Sierra Nevada.
I would drink that celebration ale over the Sierra Nevada Pale any day though....wish it wasn't just the Holiday release.

I have only tried two seasonal beers so far and both have been great.

Descheutes Jubelale
Widmer Brrr

Both excellent.

it is available year round now, but good call.

Though I am not much of an IPA guy anymore, I vote for Celebration ale as well... I always get so anxious waiting for that one each year.

Ahhh, I forgot about that. In that case, Flying Fish's Grand Cru. I am sure that there is another that I am forgetting but...

Can't pick a favorite, but I had Southern Tier Old Man Winter Ale last night, very good IMHO. :rockin:

Not really a "Winter Warmer" guy so to speak, so instead I'll break the mold and say:

Either (North Coast) Old Rasputin RIS or (Flying Dog) Gonzo Imperial Porter. (North Coast) PranQster is a close 3rd, but isn't as "warming".

Got the SA Holiday mixer last year... HATED. HAAAAATED. the Old Fezziwig, the Holiday Porter, and the Winter Lager. Seriously, I liked the Cranberry Lambic better than those three. The Cream Stout is the only thing that "made up for" that gift pack.

Can't pick a favorite, but I had Southern Tier Old Man Winter Ale last night, very good IMHO. :rockin:

Speaking of Southern Tier have you tried their Creme Brulee stout? I had this last July while I was in the Buffalo area, all I can say is damn it is good. That being said my personal fav for a winter beer is Rahr's Winter Warmer and their Whisky Warmer. The Whisky Warmer is the same as the Winter Warmer but it has be cask aged in Makers Mark barrels for 2 months.

Speaking of Southern Tier have you tried their Creme Brulee stout? I had this last July while I was in the Buffalo area, all I can say is damn it is good.

Haven't had that yet, think I'll look for it at the bottle shop tomorrow. :) Haven't had a beer from Southern Tier I didn't like.

I'm similar to some of the other posters in that I prefer the more malty styles as my winter beers over the hoppy ones. Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is pretty good. I like New Belgium's 2 Below as well.

Last night, I picked up a sixer of SN Celebration Ale as well as Sam Adams' Chocolate Bock. The Celebration Ale was, in my opinion, very hoppy and VERY good. I'm not much of a hophead but I liked it a lot!

I'm waiting for Southern Tier's chocolate to come out...

you mix it with mad elf, and you get an awesome combination of flavors.

Last night, I picked up a sixer of SN Celebration Ale as well as Sam Adams' Chocolate Bock. The Celebration Ale was, in my opinion, very hoppy and VERY good. I'm not much of a hophead but I liked it a lot!

since when does sam adams have a chocolate bock? Celebration ale is excellent however it reminds me of there fresh hops ale they do every year....personally though ide go for a nice imperial ipa

i know it wont be 'cool' or anything, but i really enjoy Blue Moon's winter brew "Full Moon". I find it to be tasty and pretty easy to drink. Much, Much, Much better than blue moon on whole.

Back