High post count does not equal brewing knowledge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impetuous Brewer

Reaction score
Though I have only been brewing for a year, I spend the whole time brewing with about three friends. All of them have been brewing for years and two of them have worked at home brew stores for at least two years.
So that's my background, I learned over the past year and continue to brew. I'm no expert, is my point but I'll spell out all my credentials.

I just wanted to say that it annoys me when the 1000+ count posters act like they are intrinsically better brewers than the rest of us. Many of them are probably quite skilled. Just dont post 20 times a day expecting everyone to worship your brewing advice.

Rant Complete.

I have a ton of posts, that makes me an expert at running my yack.

By the way, you need to sanitise your equipment better, and your hop utilisation sucks!! ;)

I haven't noticed this phenomenon. But if you say so ...

I'm nearing 800 and still don't know squat. But I do know that that was one presumptuous and silly post.:mad:

I have a ton of posts, that makes me an expert at running my yack.

No way- I can run my yack way better than you can! I have 10 times more posts!

I don't think that anyone woud assume that a higher post count would equal more brewing experience. I'm sure that there are some awesome brewers out there that have 0 posts on HBT. I can't understand it, but I know that's true. :D

No way- I can run my yack way better than you can! I have 10 times more posts!

I don't think that anyone woud assume that a higher post count would equal more brewing experience. I'm sure that there are some awesome brewers out there that have 0 posts on HBT. I can't understand it, but I know that's true. :D
Yeah, I haven't learned a damn thing from Laughing Gnome but I sure as hell have been entertained.:D

Although a high post count does not guarantee that the member has any brewing knowledge it will guarantee that they know a little about the forum they are posting in. You however, have 36 posts:drunk: may be a bit early for member bashing rants.

That said, by the time your post count is a bit higher, perhaps you will understand that even though many of the high post counters here are literally professional brewers or know so much about brewing it will make your head spin, those same posters continually show how humble they are by saying things like 'I'm no expert but, this is what I would do'. The knowledge on this forum is incredible and can be a great tool for any brewer no matter the skill level.

Bash away, but you will find this to be a different sort of forum and it would behoove you to lurk a bit more before posting things like this.

Now that that is out of the way.... Welcome to the forum! I hope you can become a great part of our community! :mug:

Ya Huh! For every 1000 posts the EAC's clue you in on another acronyms.

Once you know what they all mean there's nothing left to learn and you resort to druckin ramblers.

Obviously posts have no correspondence with brewing knowledge. However, there are plenty of helpful people on here. I have a hard time knocking this forum in any way. :mug:

What an odd rant. I don't notice that higher-postcount people act like they know everything. I will say that the more time I spend around here, the more I know about brewing. Does that necessarily mean that high postcount means anything? No. But if one has a high enough post count to have been around here for a long time, and they are still pretty newbish, then something's not right. This place has helped my brewing immensely, and I do feel like I have a good knowledge base for someone who's only been brewing for a smidge over 2 years. But as to what the OP says, I don't see it. I just don't see all these people acting like they know everything. Hell, every time I try to tackle something new (like kegging, for example), I'm a noob all over again, and I have no problem admitting it. Many people here are the same way, and so to the OP, I ask that you provide some examples of this phenomenon.

Yeah, I haven't learned a damn thing from Laughing Gnome but I sure as hell have been entertained.:D

I wouldn't expect anyone to learn anything from me. I'm a total noob. Pretty much the only time I post advice (Except if I'm druck) is to catch panicking fellow noobs when they want to know if their beer is supposed to stink the way it does, or if that crap on the top is supposed to look like crap....And I only even do that if there is nobody sensible around. .).

You gotta give the Gnome credit for approaching 1,600 in less than a year.
But it you get real nerdy,
Gnome = about 6 posts/day
Yooper = about 12 posts per day,

On average, the Yoop is twice as smart as the Gnome.

This from someone who clearly is a moron based on current criteria.

...I just wanted to say that it annoys me when the 1000+ count posters act like they are intrinsically better brewers than the rest of us. Many of them are probably quite skilled. Just dont post 20 times a day expecting everyone to worship your brewing advice.

Rant Complete.

• I'm guessing this rant is really aimed at someone in particular..though it's flung in the direction of many of us.
  • I'd suggest that if you have better advice to offer, that maybe you do so instead of ranting against those who do go to the effort to help others.

...and don't be confused...I was offering priceless, sage brewing advice by my 14th post....:D :D :D

I wouldn't expect anyone to learn anything from me. I'm a total noob. Pretty much the only time I post advice (Except if I'm druck) is to catch panicking fellow noobs when they want to know if their beer is supposed to stink the way it does, or if that crap on the top is supposed to look like crap....And I only even do that if there is nobody sensible around. .).
Likewise. On the flip side, my post count is getting up there and I haven't asked a dumb question in, oh, weeks at least.

You gotta give the Gnome credit for approaching 1,600 in less than a year.
But it you get real nerdy,
Gnome = about 6 posts/day
Yooper = about 12 posts per day,

On average, the Yoop is twice as smart as the Gnome.

This from someone who clearly is a moron based on current criteria.

I only posts 6 times a day? WOW!!!

Yoop is ten times smarter than me though, Your math is wrong.

Maybe the OP got "post count" envy after seeing Melena's post the other day and felt.... undersized....

untitled3.bmp

:D

Yes...Yes I do feel better. I think you guys are on to something here.

So...my point remains....I want to hide my Post count. And if you don't want any of my advice...feel free to ignore it. But you can count on 2 things here....someone asking...for the 10th time today if his beer is bad...and me responding. Somehow I'm not sorry about that.
:rolleyes:

I'm no offended not at all! I've been around enough forums to know that some people like me, some people hate me. Either way, I'm here, Shecky's queer, get used to it! ;)

Hell, I haven't got all that many posts or a whole lot of brewing knowledge (I hang out here to increase both)

That is a mouthful right there!

I was a brewer for near 8 years before coming here...but I had no friends...no brewing friends anyway, and I drink 99% of what I make. I have improved my knowledge by multiples of 100, 100 times over since I've been here. AND I will say that when I see a question I can't answer...I go in search of said answer. Makes me a better brewer, and then when I find it...I post the answer....increasing my post count. Does that mean I'm a post whore...maybe....but I'll also bend over back words to help anyone here....well....anyone that doesn't start bashing members that is.....(See Revvy's signature!)

Well I hate to admit it, but I do have post-worship from time to time.

For example, I giggle uncontrollably at the top of my lungs every time Evan! replies to my posts.

Well I hate to admit it, but I do have post-worship from time to time.

For example, I giggle uncontrollably at the top of my lungs every time Evan! replies to my posts.

I know what you mean. It is an honour to have Evan! respond to a post.....I lace all my posts with a hint of Evanspice in the hopes that I might attract him. Sadly, Evanspice only seems to work on Shecky. :(

edit: how on earth does one giggle at the top of their lungs!? just curious. :)

I know what you mean. It is an honour to have Evan! respond to a post.....I lace all my posts with a hint of Evanspice in the hopes that I might attract him. Sadly, Evanspice only seems to work on Shecky. :(
How'd you know?
That's it. I'm ignoring all your posts from here on out. You're going to miss me. I might be the only one as twisted as you.

Latest posts

Back