Cooling without cooling equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefoxicy

Reaction score
I have glass carboys so don't want to wake them the hell up with a nice batch of freaking hot wort!

I'm thinking of doing one of two things with that...

1) Leave the stuff in the pot, lid on, until it cools. Of course it's not air tight...

2) Transfer to sanitized plastic bucket. Air lock some how (it'll be sucking... hrm), let cool. Transfer to glass carboy so I can see it.

Yeah.. buying a cooling tube setup thing isn't in my list of things to do. I'm kinda trying to make rent right now...

That's a good question.

I'll be extract boiling. I'll be boiling all the water I'm using though, not adding more later. Does full boil refer to using grain, or to boiling the whole volume of water?

Why not just do partial boils, cool with ice bath in sink, and add water? I've made all but my 1st AG this way and they have turned out great.

Mike

Why not just do partial boils, cool with ice bath in sink, and add water? I've made all but my 1st AG this way and they have turned out great.

Honestly? I don't know why not.

I've got to boil all the water eventually (my water's filtered with a PUR filter thingy, filters freaking everything...), so why not. *shrug*

Well at least I've got some direction, I think I can figure it out through experimentation.

I make extract batches from time to time, and when I do I boil just 2 or 2.5 gallons on my stove top (that's about all it will really boil anyway). When the boil is finished, I put the pot in the kitchen sink and cool it down with cold tap water and ice. I pour into the fermenter and top off with cold tap water (I don't pre-boil it either!). This is a partial boil. If you don't have a wort chiller of some kind (like an immersion chiller) then this really is the best way to do it.

I've heard of people freezing some brewing water ahead of time in a tupperware container and then adding that to their partial boiled wort to cool it. Anyone know of issues with that? And icewater bath, plus a big ice cube in it would cool it pretty quick and you're going to be adding water anyway.

you can just add ice cubes to the wort in the fermentor as well. 8 lbs equals about a gallon of h20. I do this when the wort has cooled to below 100 degrees.

I do the big Rubbermaid container filled with ice and water. I can get 8 gals of water, 20 lbs of block ice and my 30qt pot in it all at once and stir. Also, leaving the lid off can help cool faster.

Go with the way a lot of aussie's do and go "No chill"
Transfer into one of these jugs as close to boiling as you can, squeeze out the air and cap it. Turn it on it's side so the cap is sanitized as well by the hot wort. That way you can let your wort cool down.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NUVPT4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Works quite well (especially for brews that don't concentrate on the hops). I've had a lot of success with it. Useful when I want to do 10 gallons, but I don't have space in the fermentation freezer for 2 carboys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walmart sells this type tub for around 7 bucks:
unt08014.jpg

If money is the main issue you can cool your wort with one of these with a small amount of ice and without keeping your pot open and without stirring during cooling to reduce risk of contamination. It works best if you can work outside and dont mind hefting your brewpot around (do at your own risk:cross:).

Before I got a wort chiller what I would do was fill the tub part way with the hose then put my brewpot (with lid on) in the tub, then fill it the rest of the way until the pot was almost floating, obviously not so full that you risk getting hose water in your wort. Then wait about 5 minutes and the water in the tub will be hot, pull pot out, dump hot water and repeat. Wait about 10 minutes and the water is pretty warm, pull pot, dump warm water and fill a 3rd time adding your ice to the water this time.

By doing it this way I only needed to use maybe 8 lbs of ice and be at less than 70 degrees in half an hour or so. I could make this small amount of ice at home so saved on the cost of buying the ice and driving to the store to get it. Since then I've gotten a wort chiller which makes thing much easier mainly because I don't have to lug the heavy brewpot full of near boiling wort around.

The reason to only use ground water temp water for the first couple of baths is related to the physics/thermodynamics. Some of the engineers here could give you the formulas but the basic idea is the heat exchange from the pot to water bath is efficient when the temperature Delta (difference) between the bath and the wort is large so you don't need the ice because you are already on the steep portion of the heat exchange curve, and by dumping the water (which gets hot in a hurry) you are taking that energy out of the system. As the temp of the wort and the bath water get closer together (after dumping the tub for the second time) you are no longer on the steep part of the curve but you can again make the delta large by using ice water for the 3rd and final bath.

You see the same thing with a wort chiller btw. It works great in the winter, but in the summer the temp drops linearly from 212 down to 100 or so then drops much slower as you fall off the steep part of the curve. Thats why many have to use a pre-chiller with ice.

I have glass carboys so don't want to wake them the hell up with a nice batch of freaking hot wort!
<snip>

You doing it backwards. You want to put the cold water in the fermenter first otherwise you risk shattering the carboy.

I think he knows that and was talking about a plastic fermentation bucket.

BUT, good point. Some people don't realise that carboys are not tempered glass.

Whoa, blast from the past! This question was from 2008, and the OP's last activity was in 2009. :tank:

I've done almost all of these cool down methods over the past year (ice baths, adding ice to the wort, etc). They all work, and I never had a problem. But I am *super* glad to finally have purchased a wort chiller. Maiden run this weekend. :rockin:

Whoa, blast from the past! This question was from 2008, and the OP's last activity was in 2009. :tank:

I've done almost all of these cool down methods over the past year (ice baths, adding ice to the wort, etc). They all work, and I never had a problem. But I am *super* glad to finally have purchased a wort chiller. Maiden run this weekend. :rockin:

They are well worth the money!!

They are well worth the money!!

Yeah, I'm psyched to finally have one. I'm one of those people that will go way too long doing things the "hard way" because I'm cheap. All I need now is a 40 quart pot and a propane burner, I can start doing AG! Now I'm agonizing over if I should just get the stand alone aluminum pot for $40, or go all in for a SS with valve and therm for $115. But that's another thread. :off:

Walmart sells this type tub for around 7 bucks:
unt08014.jpg

If money is the main issue you can cool your wort with one of these with a small amount of ice and without keeping your pot open and without stirring during cooling to reduce risk of contamination. It works best if you can work outside and dont mind hefting your brewpot around (do at your own risk:cross:).

Before I got a wort chiller what I would do was fill the tub part way with the hose then put my brewpot (with lid on) in the tub, then fill it the rest of the way until the pot was almost floating, obviously not so full that you risk getting hose water in your wort. Then wait about 5 minutes and the water in the tub will be hot, pull pot out, dump hot water and repeat. Wait about 10 minutes and the water is pretty warm, pull pot, dump warm water and fill a 3rd time adding your ice to the water this time.

By doing it this way I only needed to use maybe 8 lbs of ice and be at less than 70 degrees in half an hour or so. I could make this small amount of ice at home so saved on the cost of buying the ice and driving to the store to get it. Since then I've gotten a wort chiller which makes thing much easier mainly because I don't have to lug the heavy brewpot full of near boiling wort around.

The reason to only use ground water temp water for the first couple of baths is related to the physics/thermodynamics. Some of the engineers here could give you the formulas but the basic idea is the heat exchange from the pot to water bath is efficient when the temperature Delta (difference) between the bath and the wort is large so you don't need the ice because you are already on the steep portion of the heat exchange curve, and by dumping the water (which gets hot in a hurry) you are taking that energy out of the system. As the temp of the wort and the bath water get closer together (after dumping the tub for the second time) you are no longer on the steep part of the curve but you can again make the delta large by using ice water for the 3rd and final bath.

You see the same thing with a wort chiller btw. It works great in the winter, but in the summer the temp drops linearly from 212 down to 100 or so then drops much slower as you fall off the steep part of the curve. Thats why many have to use a pre-chiller with ice.

I agree. I used this tub for the first time on Saturday and it took 25 minutes to get it down to 70 degrees. Using the kitchen sink filled with ice and water took over an hour.

Yeah, I'm psyched to finally have one. I'm one of those people that will go way too long doing things the "hard way" because I'm cheap. All I need now is a 40 quart pot and a propane burner, I can start doing AG! Now I'm agonizing over if I should just get the stand alone aluminum pot for $40, or go all in for a SS with valve and therm for $115. But that's another thread. :off:

Buy the AL pot and spend the $75 on ingredients. Yum.

I used to use my 20 qt SS pot indoors but now I use my 30 qt AL pot outdoors and full boil. No issues yet. One boil over first time around but who cares, it's only my deck. :)

Buy the AL pot and spend the $75 on ingredients. Yum.

I used to use my 20 qt SS pot indoors but now I use my 30 qt AL pot outdoors and full boil. No issues yet. One boil over first time around but who cares, it's only my deck. :)

Thanks, HibsMax! I think that's the way I'll go. Especially since I could always eventually drill the two holes and add weld-less fittings whenever I want.

And honestly, I sort of *wanted* an aluminum pot because I read they are easier to control temps with, lighter, and cheaper.

Thanks, HibsMax! I think that's the way I'll go. Especially since I could always eventually drill the two holes and add weld-less fittings whenever I want.

And honestly, I sort of *wanted* an aluminum pot because I read they are easier to control temps with, lighter, and cheaper.

The only bad things I've heard about AL pots are they don't look as nice, they are not as sturdy as SS and there is a risk of off flavours (this is a much debated point and there is a sticky thread around somewhere that discusses this, and other issues). It really is contentious though. I was in my LHBS a week or so ago and I heard one of the employees telling a customer to absolutely not use AL...and from what I have read on here, that's totally unnecessary, and bad advice. But it could be advice based on that one employees experience. I tend to read and go along with the majority as I have little experience but over time I hope to keep on learning and not just regurgitating.

The only bad things I've heard about AL pots are they don't look as nice, they are not as sturdy as SS and there is a risk of off flavours (this is a much debated point and there is a sticky thread around somewhere that discusses this, and other issues). It really is contentious though. I was in my LHBS a week or so ago and I heard one of the employees telling a customer to absolutely not use AL...and from what I have read on here, that's totally unnecessary, and bad advice. But it could be advice based on that one employees experience. I tend to read and go along with the majority as I have little experience but over time I hope to keep on learning and not just regurgitating.

Yeah, I've heard both sides on the aluminum debate as well. The key seems to be to boil the water first to create a layer of oxidation on the metal, and then apparently that layer actually sticks around after a couple time, and you don't have to worry about it (as long as you don't clean it off.)

I actually recently watched a video of someone who sells both SS and aluminum pots, and strangely, he advocated the use of aluminum over SS (which you wouldn't expect a retail seller to do, considering they make more on SS).

I'll see if I can find that video.

I only wash my AL pan out with hot water. I don't use soap or anything else like that. I clean up my stuff right after I use it to prevent sticky build ups.

I only wash my AL pan out with hot water. I don't use soap or anything else like that. I clean up my stuff right after I use it to prevent sticky build ups.

Right on. I clean all my stuff out right away too. Yeah, I think it's a specific type of cleaner that would get rid of the oxidation layer, but I forget now...

I just used my homemade IC for the first time. The total cost for the chiller (40 foot 3/8 copper in two joined coils) was less than 50 bucks, and it took my cool time from well over an hour in an ice bath to 10 minutes boiling down to 70 degrees F. Totally worth it.

Back