Has brewing affected your opinion of commercial beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget it's bocked 3 times! (thank you funny things you overheard thread) That's where Triple Bock comes from.

It was BJ's Brewhouse.

I tried an IPA and a stout. There was nothing bad about either one, I just thought the IPA was kind of bland and the stout was thin and without a whole lot of taste.

I understand they need to appeal to a wide audience, and Daytona isn't known for discerning customers so I can't fault them for playing it safe.

BJ's sucks. They put about as much care into the production of their beer as they do their pizza. They'd need to add some flavor to both to even begin to approach "bland"...

BJs at my location doesn't even brew their own beer. All contract brewing

bwarbiany said:
BJ's sucks. They put about as much care into the production of their beer as they do their pizza. They'd need to add some flavor to both to even begin to approach "bland"...

I'm very sorry to say I agree with you. After tasting quality beers, BJ's just doesn't stack up anymore. Their regular menu is good though! Haven't had the pizza so I can't comment.

I think brewing has made me enjoy commercial beers even more for two reasons:

1. The hunt for good examples of the next style I'm excited about brewing. I will often pick up a few beers that are good representations of the style and then use the one I like most as the model.

2. Trying to clone beers is fun to me. I really enjoy trying to clone my favorite commercial beers. To me the tweaking of a recipe over time is very fun and rewarding.

My "go-to" beer, BEFORE I started brewing, was Miller Genuine Draft Light. Then, Miller decided to screw around with it, and it became Miller 64, that watered down, ultra-light beer. I had always been interested in the brewing process, and once I got started, I quickly realized that I liked not only the process, but also the product! Regardless of what I brew...and I've brewed some crappy batches...it's still better than Miller 64.

With that said, however, commercial brewing amazes me. The fact that a Miller plant on the east coast can brew a beer that tastes exactly the same as a plant on the west coast is incredible. That consistency of the brewing process is amazing. And there are still some commercial beers I enjoy occasionally. However, I prefer my homebrews.

glenn514:mug:

id say that since I have been brewing my own beer that the store beer here in my town has not changed at all. they still taste the same the only thing that's not the same is how I now don't have to put up with the ones I don't like. I can make my own light beer so that's fine for me but to people who love say bud light then they love it for there own reason i guess. As for myself i used to love many store brand beer but that was befor i got to try a fresh, none rice, beer lol... not some POS rice crap. anyhow im half in the bag on some nice lager so ya im ranting more lol.. cheers 17

Back