Clear fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
Several people were interested in this bucket that I posted in the latest "bucket vs. carboy" thread. I just got the info for the manufacturers website from my lhbs and thought I would make a new thread so that it wouldn't get buried in the other one and more people could check it out.

*****Before you post, please understand that this is not a "bucket vs. carboy" thread. Lets please keep it that way. I have and use both. I am only posting the info for those who are interested.

Here is the site: http://www.winemakeri.com/Clear_Pail_p/16201.htm

It comes in either 30 or 32 litters, it has the measurements marked on the side, is clear enough to see fermentation, and also has a lid designed to work without an airlock. Yes, it does have handles!

Quote from the site:
The "ClearBrew™ Ergopac Clear Pail" is a revolutionary primary fermenter. It has molded handles for safe handling, graduation scale on the side for volume indication. Unlike traditional fermenters, the cover can be closed tightly and CO2 gas will escape, elimination the need for a bung and airlock.

Here is also a picture of one of mine. I have three and absolutely love them.

bucket 1.jpg

Looks like something I'd like to try. The trick is to remember to keep it in the dark.

Looks like something I'd like to try. The trick is to remember to keep it in the dark.

Yeah, my fermenters are kept in a cabinet in my basement. I also cover them but that doesn't make for a very good picture....

I have a coopers fermenter like that. Its awesome. Just wish it were a bit narrower to fit in my ferm chamber

How does the bucket allow CO2 to escape without letting oxygen in?

I am not sure exactly how it works, but it does. I have fermented over twenty batches in them. I suspect that the pressure from fermentation raises the lid creating a small gap around the rim and then it resettles as fermentation subsides. When you snap the lid on, you can feel a little cushion around the outer rim if you push down on it. The lid also has a dip in it that expands upward during fermentation as well.

How does the bucket allow CO2 to escape without letting oxygen in?

Positive pressure allows it to happen. Basically there is enough escape to keep air from getting in as the lid reseals quickly when jnternal pressure is released.

Same thing that keeps oxygen from getting into large serving vessels and kegs during transfers.

I've been looking to switch to buckets (yeast farming purposes) and I think these are what I need

As far as I can tell there is free shipping on this item as well. I added one to the cart, entered a u.s. and Canadian address, took it as far as I could without actually giving my card number and it calculated $0 for shipping. The funny thing is, they are cheaper at my LHBS than on the website (12.99 vs. 14.99). I suppose he gets the bulk price which allows him to charge less.

I have one of these I use as a primary fermenter for wine. I also have the Coopers DIY fermenter for beer. They both work on the same concept.

No airlock, no problem.

I have heard of people using the regular bucket style fermenters without the lid. Instead they use a layer of clear kitchen cling wrap secured with an elastic of some sort (rubber o-ring from the lid of the bucket for instance). You can see into the bucket and CO2 escapes because the cling wrap/elastic doesn't create a perfect airtight seal.

As far as I can tell there is free shipping on this item as well. I added one to the cart, entered a u.s. and Canadian address, took it as far as I could without actually giving my card number and it calculated $0 for shipping. The funny thing is, they are cheaper at my LHBS than on the website (12.99 vs. 14.99). I suppose he gets the bulk price which allows him to charge less.

I just put one in for PA, USA shipping and it gave me $49 or $79 as the two choices.

I just put one in for PA, USA shipping and it gave me $49 or $79 as the two choices.

That is just crazy!

I guess I didn't take it far enough. I just did it again and the cheapest was $56 for Oklahoma and $23 for Quebec. They are out of British Columbia, so it is probably that high because it is Canada Post and for the U.S. it is considered international.

Well they have it for 12.99 at http://www.biereetvin.com/ if anyone is taking a trip up to Montreal anytime soon. DaNewf said he had them locally too, so you could probably find them all across Canada if you lived near the border and can find a shop.

It might be worth having your LHBS look in to getting some, or ordering in bulk with a homebrew club.

Back