Dishwaser and sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubicus360

Reaction score
So I usually wash my bottles and then fill a bucket with warm water and sanitizer. I then dunk my bottles for the prescribed 30 seconds. I recently moved and I am about to bottle my first batch. I am know lucky enough to now have a dishwasher. Can I just add the sanitizer to the dishwasher as if it was the usual soap? I imagine it recycles the "soapy" water, so it wont get rid of the sanitizer. Although I need 1tbs per gallon of water. So how much water is in a typical wash? I don't want to risk lack of sanitization for an easier process. Has anyone out there tried this before?

The heat from the dishwasher theoretically sanitizes the bottles. No sanitizer needed. The dishwasher actually rinses with just water so any sanitizer added to the wash is useless.

There are some issues though. You don't want any detergent residue on the bottles. There will be some residue left in the dishwasher even without adding any to the wash. The shape of the bottles isn't conducive to being rinsed all that well by the dishwasher.

I know some people have had success using the dishwasher to sanitize bottles. I wouldn't do it though. I also quit bottling over four years ago.

i don't think it works that way unless you can connect the water line to a tank of starsan.

You could spend $12 on a jet bottle washer that attaches to your sink faucet. Works great on the insides of bottles. Then put em in the dishwasher and run the cycle (without soap) and you should be good to go. The bottle over your dishwasher door to catch any drips. The jet washer makes sure the insides are clear (still do visual) and the heat sanitizes.

You could spend $12 on a jet bottle washer that attaches to your sink faucet. Works great on the insides of bottles. Then put em in the dishwasher and run the cycle (without soap) and you should be good to go. The bottle over your dishwasher door to catch any drips. The jet washer makes sure the insides are clear (still do visual) and the heat sanitizes.

after i pour a bottle of beer i immediately wash it so when i bottle a new beer all i have to do is squirt star san in with the vinator, no need for jet washing or a dishwasher. i don't bottle anymore.

"after i pour a bottle of beer i immediately wash it so when i bottle a new beer all i have to do is squirt star san in with the vinator, no need for jet washing or a dishwasher. i don't bottle anymore"

But you don't bottle anymore? The jet wash simply is a belt and suspenders method. I too rinse my bottles, but they might sit a while before being used again. Anything from dust, to spiders to a little tiny bit of crud can get in there. While I agree star san does great things, it doesn't blow spiders out of the bottle as easily as the jet washer.

Many ways to do this, in this case it's about using a dishwasher. So my suggestions pertain to "if" you use a dishwasher, you might consider using a 'jet washer" when you do. cheers mate.

"after i pour a bottle of beer i immediately wash it so when i bottle a new beer all i have to do is squirt star san in with the vinator, no need for jet washing or a dishwasher. i don't bottle anymore"

But you don't bottle anymore? The jet wash simply is a belt and suspenders method. I too rinse my bottles, but they might sit a while before being used again. Anything from dust, to spiders to a little tiny bit of crud can get in there. While I agree star san does great things, it doesn't blow spiders out of the bottle as easily as the jet washer.

Many ways to do this, in this case it's about using a dishwasher. So my suggestions pertain to "if" you use a dishwasher, you might consider using a 'jet washer" when you do. cheers mate.

well, i do still bottle sour beers into 750ml bottles but those i bake in the oven at 250 degrees until i remember to turn off the oven then i bottle the next day or later the same day. i have 2 little girls who are intent on "helping" me whenever they see me bottling so i prefer to keg, 10 min and i'm done.

Some dishwashers have a sanitation cycle, and so the temp gets high enough to sanitize. You don't want to put sanitizer in a dishwasher, however.

I have done hundreds of bottles in my dishwasher sanition cycle and never noticed a single infection. I do not add any detergent or sanitizer.

I heard that rinse aides like Jet Dry will kill head, so we never ever put rinse aids in the dishwasher just in case we are bottling soon.

My favorite thing about the dishwasher is that we fill bottles on inside of the door which contains all the spillage.

Back