Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my comical contribution:
I was in southern France on business, and my now-wife was along with me. The two of us were out with some of my French clients, and she and I are beer-drinkers more than wine-drinkers. So at dinner we asked them, "We'd like to try French beer, do you know any?" they looked puzzled by the question, and took a moment to huddle with each other, murmuring in French. After what seemed like a long time, they responded, "Uhhh, heineken"

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

"We'd like to try French beer, do you know any?". After what seemed like a long time, they responded, "Uhhh, heineken"

I was 18 when I went to Greece in the summer of 1990 and the only beer choices I saw were Amstel and Heineken. There are several good breweries in France now, but they probably haven't been around for very long.

Spent two weeks in northern Italy this year and never saw anything other than Italian BMC. They really don't do beer there.

Which was fine, as we were prepared to blow a grand on wine anyway ;)

Cheers!

bleme said:
I was 18 when I went to Greece in the summer of 1990 and the only beer choices I saw were Amstel and Heineken. There are several good breweries in France now, but they probably haven't been around for very long.

The best French brewery I know of was founded in 1914. Pelforth beats any BMC type swill into a cocked hat.

Saturday night at a newish, rather nice steakhouse that I did not know existed for a friends birthday watched the server pour an IPA like a bud (slowly down the edge of a chilly glass to get no head). I then looked at the craft selection and corona was the first thing listed. Not too badly worried I ordered a Founders Centennial IPA. When he brought it to me I requested to pour it myself, warmed the glass and did so properly. He later tried to take my bottle before I had emptied it the rest of the way. Good waiter, especially with our group size so I was not saying anything. A second followed this way then I decided to change things up and have a milk stout. He brought it to me, performed the BMC pour and commented "You do not look like someone who likes head." I stopped for a minute, stared at him, and just let it pass. I think I handled it reasonably well but had to laugh when the birthday boy accidentally grabbed his junk. but that is a story for another time.

I was in southern France on business, and my now-wife was along with me. The two of us were out with some of my French clients, and she and I are beer-drinkers more than wine-drinkers. So at dinner we asked them, "We'd like to try French beer, do you know any?" they looked puzzled by the question, and took a moment to huddle with each other, murmuring in French. After what seemed like a long time, they responded, "Uhhh, heineken"

I was in Cannes last year and stopped in a big supermarket. They had one side of an aisle dedicated to beer from all over Europe (gotta love the EU!). Most of it was Belgian, with a lesser amount of German, and a few French. Lots of single bottles for about EU1.50-2.00 each. I tried a couple French brands (don't recall which), and was not terribly impressed. But the Belgians I snapped up were great.

BeerGrylls said:

Lol very nice. When in Rome, er, south France...
I hope you declined the Heineken and recognized the opportunity. I'm impressed they collectively knew what beer is.

There are quite a few good French beers actually (well aaactuaaaaallyyyyyyyy), but all of the ones I know are in the bier de gard/farmhouse family. Stuff from La Choulette is nice, Brasserie Thiriez, Jenlain is alright. Saint Armand Country Ale (Brasserie Castelain) is tasty, as is Gavroche (Brasserie De Saint Sylvestre), is a great malty, reddish beer, perfect for a Thanksgiving dinner in my opinion.

France gets a bad rap (somewhat understandably) as far as beer goes.

reminds me of a trip to London,Ontario back in the 90's with a couple of us from Ford on an "inspection tour;)". we stopped after work for dinner at a place that sounded good...called "The Beef Baron II". We realized pretty quickly it was a burlesque joint! One of the girls walked right by us with white lace garters & stockings with heels. But no bra or panties! Blonde too. They had this whole joint of beef on a warmer. but the Molson we drank was made 1.25M back up the street,& STILL cost $3.18 per bottle Canadian. 3 beers was close to 10 bucks.

I did not know tobacco aged well. That's interesting. I guess this is only true if the tobacco is well maintained like in a humidor?

Pipe tobacco is either sold loose and sits in jars that get a good turnover, or is sold in vacuum-sealed tins. The light flavored stuff doesn't get any better, but Virginia leaf and complex English-style blends meld and develop with age like an Old Ale, BDSA, Barleywine, etc.

I was at a small brewery in McCall and a couple from out of town walked in. He went to the bathroom and she bellied up and ordered a blue moon. Bartender tried to explain that the only beer they serve is what they make in the next room. After a good blank face she asks what is similar so they served her something on the lighter side. He comes out and ordered a coors light. Once again the speech about the next room. He ends up with something lighter as well. By the end of the night they were drinking black IPA and other hoppy awesome beers.

I guess I live in a bubble where all my friends know what "beer" is and that it doesn't come in a skinny can from golden or with an AB somewhere on the label. It is good to see more people coming to to the craft side. And a good reminder for me to keep evangelizing!

unionrdr said:
reminds me of a trip to London,Ontario back in the 90's with a couple of us from Ford on an "inspection tour;)". we stopped after work for dinner at a place that sounded good...called "The Beef Baron II". We realized pretty quickly it was a burlesque joint! One of the girls walked right by us with white lace garters & stockings with heels. But no bra or panties! Blonde too. They had this whole joint of beef on a warmer. but the Molson we drank was made 1.25M back up the street,& STILL cost $3.18 per bottle Canadian. 3 beers was close to 10 bucks.

Did the collar match the cuffs?

I was at a small brewery in McCall and a couple from out of town walked in. He went to the bathroom and she bellied up and ordered a blue moon. Bartender tried to explain that the only beer they serve is what they make in the next room. After a good blank face she asks what is similar so they served her something on the lighter side. He comes out and ordered a coors light. Once again the speech about the next room. He ends up with something lighter as well. By the end of the night they were drinking black IPA and other hoppy awesome beers.

I give 'em credit for sticking around and trying it. I see people walk into taprooms and ask for "lite beer" or similar, then walk out when they can't get it.

I guess I live in a bubble where all my friends know what "beer" is and that it doesn't come in a skinny can from golden or with an AB somewhere on the label. It is good to see more people coming to to the craft side. And a good reminder for me to keep evangelizing!

I've never understood why anyone would go to a brewery and ask for a BMC

I don't know about at a BMC brewery, but I do remember visiting Busch Gardens in Florida as a 10 y.o. kid with my family. There was definitely a tasting area, and Dad def. slipped me a few tastes from his taster cup.

I remember asking on the way back to the hotel why the beer at home tasted better (my Dad's a Newcastle or Fort Garry Dark guy).

MaxStout said:
Unless things have changed, I recall there being a sample room for tour guests at an A-B brewery when I visited several years ago.

But they didn't fill growlers. ;)

I used to know a guy who did the tour at the coors brewery all the time just for the free beer.

I used to know a guy who did the tour at the coors brewery all the time just for the free beer.

Does "nearly every other weekend" count as "all the time"?
'Cuz if it does, that could be me - back in the early 70s while going to college in Denver.
Golden was close enough, and they actually served some really good brews there - that never saw the light of commercial day...

Cheers! :mug:

This is more brewing related than beer but a few weeks ago I was in my LHBS picking up some things. I was putzing around taking my time and I overhear one guy say to his buddy "see that thing there? I'll bet that's the still they use to make moonshine, I'd best stay away from that."
He was looking at a copper wort chiller :smack:

My wife and I were planning an evening out to Lancaster Brewing's taproom, and she looked p the menu online to look for any specials (food and brews) and she spotted some reviews online.
Most of the gripes were about the price (apparently a $10 burger with fries is expensive...) and that the staff couldnt rustle up a margarita.
A freaking margarita from a taproom with more than a dozen options, ranging from a super light strawberry wheat to an impressive milk stout.

This is more brewing related than beer but a few weeks ago I was in my LHBS picking up some things. I was putzing around taking my time and I overhear one guy say to his buddy "see that thing there? I'll bet that's the still they use to make moonshine, I'd best stay away from that."
He was looking at a copper wort chiller :smack:

The other day I had a guy ask me if I make any moonshine when he heard I homebrew.

Also, whilst discussing different hop varieties with a local herb farmer interested in growing hops, an eavesdropper on the conversation jumped in a blurted, "Oh yeah, those hops get you drunk real fast." Chalk that up to the runny tally for that comment.

Does "nearly every other weekend" count as "all the time"?
'Cuz if it does, that could be me - back in the early 70s while going to college in Denver.
Golden was close enough, and they actually served some really good brews there - that never saw the light of commercial day...

Cheers! :mug:

When I toured the Coors brewery the guide even mentioned the shortcut of the tour that took you right to the tasting room instead of all the other parts of the brewing process.

The AB brewery in southern NH gives you two full pours after their free tour. They have all kinds of stuff, not just Bud. Maybe they even have Goose Island now...

The AB brewery in southern NH gives you two full pours after their free tour. They have all kinds of stuff, not just Bud. Maybe they even have Goose Island now...

I went on the brew master's tour ($25 i think) and it was interesting. We had Bud lite directly out of the brite tank, and it tasted different, good even. Then in the tasting room, we could have as much as we wanted but once we left the room, that was it. There is no bathroom in the tasting room, so it's a self-solving issue for them. I remember they had a good selection. The clydesdales were the coolest part though, it pains me to say.

I loved the Clydesdales when I was a kid! I grew up just a few miles from the brewery.

I almost did the Brewmasters Tour one time a few years back but the plans fell through. I have done the free tour plenty of times, last time there was a 20 year old kid doing the tour that couldn't answer a single question that anybody had. Oh well.

This was when they brought the brewery to our local minor league baseball game.

image-238718162.jpg

image-4192108119.jpg

image-69759410.jpg

image-47886002.jpg

I think my wife once worked on those horses. She was a vet tech and they were traveling through ND and needed a check-up or something. Maybe it was just her boss.

I had 5 gallons of a DIPA sitting in the living room. We had to call a plumber to fix our floor drain backing up. He looks at the beer and says,
"W 'sat, moonshine?"
"No it's beer."
"W 'sat Guinness? Looks like Guinness"
I did not know what to reply so I just smiled

P.S. it did not look like Guinness

I was in my LHBS on Saturday getting grains. They also have a nice beer selection. This complete *bro* walks in and says "I need your fanciest imported beer. I've got some customers in from out of state and they only like the best. They said IPA, do you carry their stuff here? I'm more of a liquor man . . . "

The employee was really cool and tried to teach him some things about beer :tank:

Probably because before the craft beer revolution the terms were interchangeable. :mug:

Probably. But stuff from China is imported (not necessarily beer) but I don't think I have ever said good things about that quality.

Not trying to start a debate, just mentioning I think it is comical.

Back