Best for long term storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
Whats the best way to store your bottles of brew when you have a lot and it's going to be awhile before your going to drink them? Do you let them carb and then store them in a fridge . Or is it best to keep them around 65deg until a week before your going to drink them and then throw them in the fridge? My plan is to let them condition for 4-6 weeks at 65deg and throw them in the fridge until needed. (thank god for the beer fridge in the garage)

:ban:Its peanut butter jelly time:ban:

I think either option is fine. I store my bottles in the basement which is in the low 60s, in cases on a cement floor. But I see nothing wrong with storing your carbed beer in a fridge.

Either option is fine. If it's a good strong beer like an stout or porter you could leave it in the low 60's to age. You will probably notice a change over time. If you pop it in the fridge it will slow this down and the flavor will be more stable. You could always put some in the fridge and leave some out to see how they compare.

So basically the best thing to do would be age your beer till it conditions to the taste you like. Then put it in the fridge to try to maintain that taste. ? . ?
I guess you can store beer longer if its cold as long as you dont get it hot then cold again. I know that can skunk beer. Sorry if this thread seems stupid but im trying to figure out how to keep all the beer Ive brewed from going bad before I drink it all. This new hobby of mine has me wanting to brew every day... IM A ADDICT...

A little late on the reply, but I was just reading about this for my own similar reasons. Flavors will always degrade but storing the beer colder will slow them and storing it hotter will accelerate them (the middle probably being somewhere around 55F, but I can't confirm that). Three things to consider are microbial contamination, yeast autolysis and oxidation. By using good sanitation and reducing the amount of oxygen you introduce when kegging or bottling (splashing, shaking, stirring, etc), you get a good head start on retaining the intended flavor of your beer for longer. Storing in a fridge seems to be the best bet, staying "fresh" somewhere out to around 4 months.

Most of this was taken from a BYO article here:
http://***********/stories/techniqu...ing/1128-mash-temperature-a-kegging-specifics

For bottling, the oxygen in the top space of the bottle doesn't get displaced with CO2 and absorbs back into the beer. I think this is a longer term storage issue, and you can use oxygen absorbing caps. Here's a thread on them:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/oxygen-absorbing-caps-89570/

I'm using kegs, so I'm planning on purging the top space with CO2 and rig a small storage area that can maintain around 50-60F for 2 months max to store what I can't serve yet. If anyone is storing their beer this way, I'd love to hear if I'm thinking of anything wrong. Hope this helps, OP.

Back