What to brew - Gross amount of Caramunich/Carafa... What to make? What to make?..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaitobar

Reaction score
I recently got a deal that I could not pass up on some organic Weyermann Caramunich and Carafa. Now I have 600 pounds of Caramunich and 200 of Carafa and im not quite sure what to make with it all. I know that my carafa is strictly for color and flavor in dark beers and has no diastatic power whatsoever, therefore I can use it for stouts and porters.
But how about my Caramunich? as long as my lintner remains above 35, and preferably much higher, could I feasibly craft a beer that had a grain bill consisting mainly of Caramunich.

First of all, Wow. That is a lot of grain.

Second, using CaraMunich as a base malt is not going to work well(I think). If I understand it correctly, it is going to give you mostly unfermentable sugars. Which will lead to some pretty weird beer.

because caramunich is a crystal malt and the starches in the grain have already been converted, I will not need any base malt, however apparently most of the sugars in crystal malt are unfermentable. does anybody know what percentage of sugars in crystal malt are fermentable.

That's enough specialty grains to share;)PM me and I will give you details, I'll even pay your cost plus shipping.:mug:

because caramunich is a crystal malt and the starches in the grain have already been converted, I will not need any base malt, however apparently most of the sugars in crystal malt are unfermentable. does anybody know what percentage of sugars in crystal malt are fermentable.

unless the bulk of your fermentables will be from extract, then you still need base malt. although it does ferment, caramunich as the base would make a sickly sweet beer. in general, you don't go over 20% of the grain bill with crystal malts.

according to Nilo's experiment 40l crystal malt (my caramunich is 30L), when used on its own came out with a 1.015 OG and finished at 1.010. However, when used in conjuction with 2row (half and half) it came out with an OG of 1.025 and finished at 1.007.

when used alone he detected starch in the wort, so when used with 2row he found that you yielded a highly fermentable wort.

So, if I were to have a grain bill comprised of half caramunich and half 2row I shouldnt end up with a sickly sweet beer. Would I?

id guess it would still be overly sweet, but theres only one way to know for sure. if you highly hop it, it should mask some of the sweetness

yeah id like to make a black imperial ipa with it, or an imperial stout/porter. I have got to have at least 10 pounds (once dry) of hops in my basement, ill definitley be pulling off some crazy IBU's

So if you pick up an extra 600 lbs of 2-row you could make, errrr... roughly 800 gallons of moderate-gravity beer with what you have on hand.

That right there is a guy who believes in buying in bulk.

Latest posts

Back