Long-Term clean bottle storage with san-star inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
I've changed from bottling to kegging, but I want to be able to give people bottles on a moment's notice. I was considering cleaning a number of bottles, filling them with san-star and capping/closing them, so that when I want to give them a bottle I just dump out the solution, rinse a little and fill 'er up. Anyone think of, or know of, any reasons not to do this? Is it really no better than sanitizing and drying them and then capping them until use?

Sometimes if I leave a bucket full of starsan solution for a while I will get a sludge that precipitates on the bottom. I dunno if this would happen with capped bottles or not.

You should not have to rinse starsan. That ruins the point.

Why not just keep a spray bottle filled with starsan, give the clean bottles about 8-10 sprays, drain into a cup, (don't rinse!) and fill the bottles with brew.

That is my process and I havent had anyone complain of gushers/infections. They usually don't wait too long to drink them anyhow so its not that big of deal.

Star-san requires a low pH to act as a sanitizer. Over long term storage the pH will rise and it will not longer be an effective sanitizer. I wouldn't store anything in it.

Sounds unnecessary to me, i just keep a bucket of starsan around all the time (keep a lid on it between brews, and typically swap it out every brew day) I keep a case of clean bottles in my freezer (cold glass foams less), pour a little starsan into a bottle, swirl around, dump and fill (with starsan foam in it) and cap. No problems

Back