What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ommegangs Take The Black Stout, not too sweet. The absolute slightest hint of licorice, barely even there.

image-3267540749.jpg

Switching up the Prairie to my first offering from Crooked Stave. Delicious with some lemon-rosemary chicken, great sour hints with a little bit of oak and farmhouse earthiness. Love that lemon tart finish though

ForumRunner_20130923_190541.jpg

Never had it and it's delicious!
Anyone have a rec for a craft beer store in downtown Chicago?

It's been a few years since I've been there and I'm sure there are some new options, but Binny' is good. Can't rememember which one is best, there are several locations.

Gabe I thought you'd appreciate this. This weekend there was a kid at our homebrew club meeting (without beer the dink) he was bragging about how he was brewing a rye saison secondaried with pumpkin. Primary strain 3711, brett b to bottle.

On second thought I'm glad he didn't bring beer to share.

Gabe I thought you'd appreciate this. This weekend there was a kid at our homebrew club meeting (without beer the dink) he was bragging about how he was brewing a rye saison secondaried with pumpkin. Primary strain 3711, brett b to bottle.

On second thought I'm glad he didn't bring beer to share.

What, no smoked malt?

Having a Prairie Bomb after dinner. This stuff makes me want to blow my brewing budget, and get several cases (I will probably get more anyway). At 14% ABV, it's very smooth. I'm not sure how they do it, but it's definitely in my top 5 beers this year...

Having a Prairie Bomb after dinner. This stuff makes me want to blow my brewing budget, and get several cases (I will probably get more anyway). At 14% ABV, it's very smooth. I'm not sure how they do it, but it's definitely in my top 5 beers this year...

Did you come up with a clone recipe yet?

wobrien said:
Euphoric Sunshine Drip by Tired Hands. They do everything right. I bet they even use plywood for sub-flooring ;)

This actually gave me a good laugh! Thanks. :D

WesleyS said:
This actually gave me a good laugh! Thanks. :D
How's the good fight going?

Blackberry Berliner v1. Pretty beer, ugly bucket. Time for a new one.

TNGabe said:
How's the good fight going?

Blackberry Berliner v1. Pretty beer, ugly bucket. Time for a new one.

I decided to just rip out the wet carpet padding for now. The carpet is drying up alright so it'll probably be fine. I have multiple fans on the floor just to get it dried for now. But I'm 99.9% sure I'll be ripping that crap up and replacing it with plywood. The funny thing is, I think there might be plywood under that particle board, but I'm not sure yet. I'm tired and ready to go to bed, so I'll have to revisit this mess tomorrow after work.

By the way, that blackberry Berliner sounds good. I need to do a sour mash Berliner one day.

TNGabe said:
Did you come up with a clone recipe yet?

Yep, I did. I haven't brewed it yet (because of my schedule), but soon. I do have a few I'm putting back for trades though.
Having a Boddingtons Pub Ale right now, and getting ready for bed. I'm too drunk to have much more...

WesleyS said:
By the way, that blackberry Berliner sounds good. I need to do a sour mash Berliner one day.

This batch is good, the more recent one is more sour than I enjoy. I'm actually going to try lactobacillus in the fermentor instead of a sour mash next time. I like some doughiness in the style.

jerryteague said:
Yep, I did. I haven't brewed it yet (because of my schedule), but soon. I do have a few I'm putting back for trades though. Having a Boddingtons Pub Ale right now, and getting ready for bed. I'm too drunk to have much more...

Speaking of trades, I'm about caught up on trades so send me a list when you have time.

TNGabe said:
This batch is good, the more recent one is more sour than I enjoy. I'm actually going to try lactobacillus in the fermentor instead of a sour mash next time. I like some doughiness in the style.

Speaking of trades, I'm about caught up on trades so send me a list when you have time.

Will do. I'm caught up myself, so it's all cake from here.
I found some great sours that I'm sure you'll really like, and I may have a surprise, or two that I believe you'll really like.

BTW I will have a surplus of Prairie Bomb, and I'm very interested in some more Heady Topper, if anyone's interested...

Will do. I'm caught up myself, so it's all cake from here.
I found some great sours that I'm sure you'll really like, and I may have a surprise, or two that I believe you'll really like.

BTW I will have a surplus of Prairie Bomb, and I'm very interested in some more Heady Topper, if anyone's interested...

My VT guy should be headed through sometime soon...

When I was workin,I had to get up at 3AM to get to work early enough to set up the line. That included shoveling the driveway enough to get out in the winter as well. By the time you white collar folks were getting up,we were close to 1st break already. Or when I was younger,workin 1st or 3rd shift. Get off work at 7:30-8:00AM & at the bar. Drinkin draft & tequila while the older guys were getting sick watchim me while tryin to drink their coffee & eat breakfast. lolz. Atm drinkin big mug of coffee wishin I was still skinny like back then. My joints might've been better. Damn hormones...

bottlebomber said:
Sucks brah. Our utility room is upstairs. If this happens to me, I actually will burn it down.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You can't just quote me and replace all my bitching with "*****, *****, *****." :p
I could see that being a disaster if it happened upstairs. Hopefully that never happens to you.
From what I can tell, the washing machine never stopped filling with water to start the cycle. It just continued filling and overflowing.

TNGabe said:

I'd like to try doing both methods and compare. I like the idea of sour mash because I'm not dealing with bugs post boil. But I already have fermenters, racking tubing, bottling bucket, etc. that I've used for brett and sour beer that I've just dedicated to beers with bugs. So, the other method won't be a problem.
I'll probably be fruiting them or atleast making some fruit syrup to add in glass.

Coffee. While pondering whether it's worth my effort to try to do something with this 16 oz of "starter" I'd forgotten about and just rediscovered in the back of the cellar. WLP 670 American Farmhouse with Brett. Looks like a yeast cake with a little liquid and just a white film on top? Can I resurrect this, or just toss it?

I'd like to try doing both methods and compare. I like the idea of sour mash because I'm not dealing with bugs post boil. But I already have fermenters, racking tubing, bottling bucket, etc. that I've used for brett and sour beer that I've just dedicated to beers with bugs. So, the other method won't be a problem.
I'll probably be fruiting them or atleast making some fruit syrup to add in glass.

If you already have the (completely unnecesasry) 2nd set of equipment, nothing to worry about. Lactobacillus is all over everything, normal sanitation procedures take care of it just fine. I've made some good sour mash berliners and some less good ones. The only batch I dumped was when I tried to sour the wort with grain. That was bad. Oh so bad. Corpse bad.

Coffee. While pondering whether it's worth my effort to try to do something with this 16 oz of "starter" I'd forgotten about and just rediscovered in the back of the cellar. WLP 670 American Farmhouse with Brett. Looks like a yeast cake with a little liquid and just a white film on top? Can I resurrect this, or just toss it?

How long has it been? The sacc might not be in top shape, but it's probably got a healthy brett population. White film is a pellicle. I'd recommend the CYBI JP Bam Biere Recipe. If you want to go all out, I've got some lacto I can bring you when I come get figs. You been saving your JP bottles? Those labels are a PITA to get off, but it's worth it.

I decant the white film & liquid and then step it up to see what it does. Worst case your out a little DME; best case you have a couple of vials of yeast to use :)

Back