Adding brown sugar or honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some input as I've never attempted this before or seen it done. I'm going to be brewing a Holiday inspired ale that beersmith has listed at like a 4.2% ABV. (Recipe is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-brew-207902/) I think either brown sugar or honey would be a good addition, not only for partial flavoring, but to up the ABV, but I'm just not sure when to add. Any input?
Thanks!

At flameout is fine. Don't go overboard though, the recipe was designed to taste good without it. If you want a bigger beer, find a bigger recipe.

You wont get much flavor from either the brown sugar or the honey. All they will do is cause your beer to ferment out a little dryer and raise the alcohol content.

Beginner also, I think I'm having the hardest time learning the lingo, acronyms, vernacular...

What part of the process does "flameout" refer to? End of boiling?

Yes, flameout is when the boil time has been completed. What do you guys/girls, the ones that responded, think of the recipe? I know, I should have brewed it in Sept or Oct to have it ready for the holidays, but I just got the wild hair to give it a try (once the wort chiller is finished).

I didn't think that the brown sugar or honey would give to much flavor, but I had to ask because I've never used either before. Thanks for the input!

In the olden days, brown sugar was cane sugar that was less-than-fully refined. Nowadays, they just add molasses into white (usually beet) sugar. In beer, you get a bit of molasses flavor, if that is what you want. Honey leaves less behind, though I have heard that buckwheat honey (the really dark stuff) has a stronger flavor. Haven't tried it though.

If you have the urge to try either one, by all means go for it. It all depends on what you want from your beer, no one else can make that call.

Back