Best plan after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dori_beer

Reaction score
Im new to brewing, but i realise it needs 6-8 weeks before drinking. Im upto my 11th brew now, but I still cant work out whats best.

What does everyone do after bottling, ie 4 weeks room temp, the rest fridge, or all fridge time, or only the last couple of days fridge.

Whats best?

Cheers
Adam.

My total conditioning time pretty much agrees with yours, mas o menos. Hefeweizens can condition quicker, and of course the darker / heavier beers might take longer.....but it's a good estimate.

After bottling, I keep the beer upstairs in temperatures of 70F+ for two weeks or so, then put them on shelves in my basement, which runs around 60F year round.

After they are carbed and condioned at 70+ degrees then you can do whatever you want to them, it really doesn't mattter. You can chill them all, chill a few, whatever works for you.

I find that my brew have all been better if given at least 4 to 5 days in the fridge.

I have a few that have been in there for 6 months and are begging to be consumed.

I must obey. (I need the room for new ones.);)

I just drank the last two bottles from my first batch. They were brewed about two months ago and had been hanging out in my mini-fridge for quite some time (probably 2 weeks at least, after conditioning around room temp for two weeks). By far the best tasting out of the batch. I'm now putting a hold on everything from my second batch to let them develop as well. Loving the learning curve in this hobby! Patience is key.

I agree with the 4 to 5 days in the fridge before drinking, but would say even longer – within reason, of course – results in better tasting brews in my minimal experience.

I think it really depends on the style of beer and what kind of conditioning you have been able to do up to the point of bottling. For example, You don't want to let an IPA sit too long or the Hop flavor & Aroma will fade. On the other hand,with say a RIS or Barleywine you really want to lay those down for a while as they will take longer to carb and condition.

Back