My First INFECTION

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I should have known it would happen. The bung fell out twice. A Scottish 80 Shilling. Started out coper, it is now as black as coal with chalk white peaces of something growing in it. It also has an oily like slick in it. Any idea what it is?? I tried to take some pics with my new camera, but couldn't get it to work.

Found a picture just like mine

Lactobacillus

Flat white patches remind you of ice forming on a pond with oil sick around it. I tasted the beer (can't believe I did that) it was sooo sour and nasty.

Put it in our basement and leave it alone for a year.. A sour scottish beer could be interesting

Interesting it might be, but it definitely didn't qualify as a Scottish beer any more. It was black and ropey. The dogs went to howling as the smell spread throughout the neighborhood as I poured it off the back porch. When I tasted it I nearly lost supper.

Interesting it might be, but it definitely didn't qualify as a Scottish beer any more. It was black and ropey. The dogs went to howling as the smell spread throughout the neighborhood as I poured it off the back porch. When I tasted it I nearly lost supper.

Sounds like a dumper. After all, dogs eat ****. If the dogs won't go near it, it's probably a goner.

Sorry for your loss.

what the hell, I could of used some of that infection. The Lactobacillus I pitched in my Berliner Weiss didnt take.

The kicker was though, Knowing I was brew master PhD, I didn't bother to look at the beer before washing, rinsing, Star San-ing all my bottles, racking cane, bottle bucket, filler, etc. About 2 hours worth of work for naught.

Before someone says "You didn't check the gravity three days in a row?" , no I didn't. Fermentation stopped many weeks ago.

And I am Brew Master PhD after all;). But wait! Could a Brew Master PhD be foiled by a loose bung? No! It must have been dirty elf's. They screw me every time. You know, if you drink a case and spin around and around really fast, sometimes you can catch them out of the corner of your eye:drunk:

Bill

what the hell, I could of used some of that infection. The Lactobacillus I pitched in my Berliner Weiss didnt take.

It is probably all over the house from when Grandpa used to make cheese. At least I think that's where it is used. I am not sure.

Back