My nickel and dime eBIAB build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlomo

Reaction score
So I was given a set of kegs the other day from a coworker. I thought, "Perfect! Now i can do AG!!" And i finally started and semi finished my build. Only took 2 pics, before and after so you'll have to imagine the middle part but wanted to get some feedback.

photo%2B%25282%2529.JPG

I read all of the posts of eBIAB rigs before i attempted mine. Its pretty simple and by pretty simple i mean it cant get much simpler. 2 Elements, 1500w and 2000w. I did it this way because i only have 1 available 20A circuit in my small apartment. Everything is GFCI protected, the 20A is protected on the outlet of my apartment, but i had to buy a GFCI outlet that is for the 15A that is part of my controller. Its simple, 2 switches both rated for their respective amperage. Everything is 12AWG.

photo+%283%29.JPG

Now all thats left to do is put it all into my keg. Im going to have to take it to SWMBO's parents to cut the top off, and im waiting on my step drill to do the holes for the elements. All in all, it was quite easy to do this, and I kept it under $150 for everything, not too bad. Hopefully i'll be able to do my first AG in the next week or two!!

Cheers

Very nice budgeting! I have five times that in mine already! How do you plan on cutting the top off? I used a 3" air cutter from harbor freight and it worked great.

I was thinking the same, or if i need to i'll grab my dremel and get at it. Will take MUCH longer with the dremel, but i've got time. I'll probably grab an elec angle grinder soon so i might just use that if SWMBO's step dad doesnt have one (his garage is a mess)

I was thinking the same, or if i need to i'll grab my dremel and get at it. Will take MUCH longer with the dremel, but i've got time. I'll probably grab an elec angle grinder soon so i might just use that if SWMBO's step dad doesnt have one (his garage is a mess)

I would get buy an angle grinder before using a dremel if I were you. Cutting the top off a keg with a dremel you will probably spend more in cutting disks than the cost of a grinder.

I would get buy an angle grinder before using a dremel if I were you. Cutting the top off a keg with a dremel you will probably spend more in cutting disks than the cost of a grinder.

I second that not to mention would probably burn out the dremel..I did cutting holes for my PIDs in my control box buy a cheap HF grinder and have at her. GL.

How are your elements mounted in those enclosures? Looks clean...:mug:

Thanks, just used some JB weld to stick them in there and seal them shut. They don't let any water in, and they're in weatherproof electrical box so everything is nice and sealed.

Yeah a dremel will not go very far cutting up a keg. I only used mine for the pid and timer spots on the control panel. If you go to harbor freight don't get the ten dollar angle grinder. Mine didn't last ten minutes cutting some stuff up one time. The 20 dollar heavy duty one is supposed to be good stuff.

Can you post the parts you used to put the elements together and where you got them? Looks very good

I got everything from HD

12AWG wire. Although i would use different than what is seen in the picture..
1 x 1500 Element
1 x 2000 Element
2 x Halex twin 3/4" screw cable clamp
2 x Halex 1" electrical outlet box
2 x 1" OD 3/4" ID threaded coupler
and good ol' Epoxy

I could put together a build for them but its already dried so... yeah

Can you post a photo of the wiring inside your box?

Its nothing special:
1 x 15amp light switch
1 x 15amp GFCI Outlet
1 x 20amp Light Switch
1 x 20amp single outlet
Assorted 12AWG wiring

(Sorry for blurry iphone pics)

image_1.jpg

image.jpg

photo.JPG

Before anyone remarks on how i didnt use the same color wire for a few things, i know, didnt have any 12 gauge on hand. i would suggest to anyone who does a build similar to keep a relative wiring color scheme or use a wiring block like many others use for their PID setups. My build is small and simple so i opted not to spend the extra money.

I dont plan on ever needing to open the box, so its not an issue for me. Also, in the future i would probably just put the 15A GFCI outlet in the wall but as im in an apartment i didnt want to do that. It makes my build a bit more portable as well, although i should have done a 20A GFCI instead if i really wanted portability.

:mug:

Thanks. I have been wanting to go electric, but I can't even begin to grasp the high tech stuff.

Schlomo said:
2 Elements, 1500w and 2000w. I did it this way because i only have 1 available 20A circuit in my small apartment.

Cheers

Just a question since I'm pretty new to this as well but isn't 3500 watts going to be way more than 20 amps? I thought most people doing 120v with two elements plugged into two separate outlets on different circuits.

Just a question since I'm pretty new to this as well but isn't 3500 watts going to be way more than 20 amps? I thought most people doing 120v with two elements plugged into two separate outlets on different circuits.

Thats what i'm doing, but i only have 1, 2000w circuit in my apartment. I plug the 2000w into the GFCI outlet in my kitchen and i have a longer extension cord to run to the 15A circuit in the living room. 2 separate circuits, so 3500w total is no problem if you split it up.

Schlomo said:
Thats what i'm doing, but i only have 1, 2000w circuit in my apartment. I plug the 2000w into the GFCI outlet in my kitchen and i have a longer extension cord to run to the 15A circuit in the living room. 2 separate circuits, so 3500w total is no problem if you split it up.

Oh ok I didn't catch that part :)

Thanks. I have been wanting to go electric, but I can't even begin to grasp the high tech stuff.

What i did is pretty low tech. If you know how to use a philips head screwdriver you can do what i did. Just make sure everything is grounded and you pos goes to positive and neg to negative. 12 Gauge wire will keep you safe for up to 2000w and if you want to go beyond that im sure anyone at your local HD or Lowes can help you out. Dont quote me but i think 10 gauge is good up to 3000w? Maybe 2500? Anyway, dont let it intimidate you with all the great big builds that im jealous I dont have. There are easier and cheaper solutions, although not autonomous, still provide a cheap and affordable way to go AG in an apartment like me, or just go electric.

I'd be willing to help with questions if you have any, as well as many other members of HBT.

Cool. I just want to go electric because I am tired of buying propane, sweating my ass off next to a burner in the summer, and freezing my ass off in the winter.

Well.. I got everything drilled and cut today in the Keggle. Set everything up with the elements, and the 1500w element is working! Only problem is that the 2000w element is sporadic which is bad. Not sure why, but it isnt working right. I'll have to check my connections and see whats wrong.

Still hoping to do my first AG this weekend! Here's to a successful fix :mug:

Back