How do you cook your roast beef?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great question! I make roast beef from time to time but I've just winged it and results have been inconsistent. I let the roast come up a bit, then season it well with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and roast it on a cooling rack thing at about 225 until it hits 140 or so I think. I try to err just on the cooked side of rare. Pretty sure I've not been using the right cuts of meat but it usually comes out good, not great.

today im going to try the method where you put the roast into the oven at 500F, let it cook 7minutes per pound, than turn off the oven and leaving the door shut the whole time, leave it in there for 2.5hours

today im going to try the method where you put the roast into the oven at 500F, let it cook 7minutes per pound, than turn off the oven and leaving the door shut the whole time, leave it in there for 2.5hours

Tried that once, didn't like the result.

My method, used for ALL the holiday roasts.
Trim the roast and make it the size desired (I get a whole tenderloin to start with), then tie it off to maintain shape.
Season with fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic and Spike. Cover with a light coating of AP flour.
Insert thermometer probe into middle of roast (thickest part too).
Cook at 325F until internal temp reads 135-140F then remove from oven and tent with foil (minimum of 10 minutes, 15-20 is better).
Put anything from the roasting pan into previously made sauteed onions and mushrooms.
Slice roast and pour anything on the cutting board into above onions and mushrooms mix. Turn pan up in order to get them to thicken and then serve in gravy boat/bowl.

I tried different methods, and cuts of meat, before going this way many years ago. 100% hit every time. I usually cut it a bit bigger so that there's at least something left after the meal. Mostly so that my niece and nephew can enjoy it either for lunch at school, or as a quick meal during the week. I might try a boneless ribeye roast next time, since the place I usually get the whole tenderloin from is further away since I've moved. Unless I can get one closer to home at a decent rate that is. I'm used to paying about 1/2 of what they sell at the grocery store for.

BTW, for the onions and mushrooms, I also use fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic and Spike. Once they've reduced some, I add a couple of shots worth of good drinking bourbon to the pan. That adds a great flavor to the mix.

Rub with a heavy kosher salt cure and plenty of fresh chopped garlic and onion. Let sit for 2 hours. Rinse off briefly. Pat dry. The meat will be perfectly seasoned. Do not add any more salt. Then, follow a technique similar to this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

Basically, cook low and slow, basting throughout... then give it a proper rest... brush with seasoned oil (garlic, herbs, butter, black pepper, etc) and finally perform a high-heat post sear.

Internal temp. should read 120 F before the rest and post sear.

I dry rub mine with a bunch of salt/pepper/herbs and pat with flour and shake off excess. Then I brown it on all sides and put it in a dutch oven with a couple of roasty beers and some beef stock, mirepoix (carrot/celery/onion) and a boquet garni, top off with water to about 60% up the side of the roast and baste it all day. Usually I cook it at 250, because I find a nice low slow cook produces the best texture!

You can use red wine, garlic, and bacon, too. MMM.

Rubbed with herbs and olive oil, browned on all sides in my cast iron skillet, goes into the slow cooker with potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, garlic and more fresh herbs. for liquids, use homemade stock and beer. Let it cook all day while I am at work - low and slow.

Rubbed with herbs and olive oil, browned on all sides in my cast iron skillet, goes into the slow cooker with potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, garlic and more fresh herbs. for liquids, use homemade stock and beer. Let it cook all day while I am at work - low and slow.

Looks like you and I would get along just fine in the kitchen. :mug:

Probably true, most of my roasts tend to be moose or caribou, so it is very lean and benefits from this method of cooking.

I cook my beef roasts mainly in the crockpot with bay leaves, chopped garlic & a bit of sage. The secret here is to butter the top of the roast. About a cup (more or less depending on the size of the roast) of beef stock in the pot with it & at least 8 hrs of cooking time on low. Turns out moist, tender & juicy every time. Regards, GF.

Back