Low gravity reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wattuz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a light honeybitter here. 4% of vol or so. The gravity reading came out as 1022 which seems to be too low. I pitched the yeast just before taking the reading, should this affect to the reading? The temp was also somewhere near 75°F (24°C).

Should i be worried about something?
I couldn't find any topics referring to a similar issue.

1.022 seems really low. Pitching the yeast before taking the OG won't affect the reading and your temperature is in the right range and won't adjust your reading much. The only things I can think of are 1) are you reading the right scale, 2) maybe there were bubbles or something clinging to hydrometer, or 3) something went wrong in you recipe (forgot to double ingredients for batch size?). Post a recipe and we can be more help

Wattuz said:
I'm looking for a light honeybitter here. 4% of vol or so. The gravity reading came out as 1022 which seems to be too low. I pitched the yeast just before taking the reading, should this affect to the reading? The temp was also somewhere near 75°F (24°C).

Should i be worried about something?
I couldn't find any topics referring to a similar issue.

and how big was your boil?

Parker36 said:
1.022 seems really low. Pitching the yeast before taking the OG won't affect the reading and your temperature is in the right range and won't adjust your reading much. The only things I can think of are 1) are you reading the right scale, 2) maybe there were bubbles or something clinging to hydrometer, or 3) something went wrong in you recipe (forgot to double ingredients for batch size?). Post a recipe and we can be more help

The scale i am reading might be wrong, as im a first timer with OG. As a recipe i used:

1,5kg(3,3 lb) of Yorkshire bitter malt extract
500g (1,1 lb) of Honey
50g (0.11lb) of saaz-pellets

The amount of ready product was 23 liters (5 gallons)

And if i am reading the wrong scale, the other says 1060. This scale is grams of sugar per a liter, it has to be the Gravity reading right? :)

Parker forgot to mention one thing....You must stir the wort up with your top off water really well....It takes quite a bit of stirring to get it mixed well so your OG is correct. I would bet that this is your problem...But you can use beer tools to punch in your recipe and that will tell you... But I agree, 1.022 is pretty low, and with 75% att. that will leave you with a ABV of about 2.16%... So my vote is you didnt stir long enough... Good Luck..

Assuming you are making a 5 gallon batch, I get 1.031 using ProMash. Did you stir the wort good after adding the top off water? This is a frequent problem for new brewers.
I think 1.031 is even a bit low. I'd add 1/2 to 1 pound of Dried Malt Extrace to get the gravity to 1.035 to 1.040.

The scale that gives me 1022 seems to be the Specific Gravity, SG scale

RichBrewer said:
Assuming you are making a 5 gallon batch, I get 1.031 using ProMash. Did you stir the wort good after adding the top off water? This is a frequent problem for new brewers.
I think 1.031 is even a bit low. I'd add 1/2 to 1 pound of Dried Malt Extrace to get the gravity to 1.035 to 1.040.

How should i add the Malt Extract? Straight in and stir or boil first with water and then add? I happen to have Amber as spraymalt

YooperBrew said:
Boil it in a couple of cups of water, cool it, and then add it.
Is the idea to get it in a liquid form or wait for a hot break and then add it?

And thanks for all the replies, without you i would have failed plenty of times already.

Thanks for the advices, the gravity came out as 1036 which should lead to a light honeybitter

Latest posts

Back