Question about Mr Malty Calc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
When entering the "production date" is that the date you are making the starter or the date that you estimate the yeast vial was produced? Also, it suggests to pitch a large starter with a 1.064 beer. If decanting the liquid off, how do you all do it?

I would assume something like refrigerate over night then siphon. But Im not sure.

BrooZer said:
When entering the "production date" is that the date you are making the starter or the date that you estimate the yeast vial was produced? Also, it suggests to pitch a large starter with a 1.064 beer. If decanting the liquid off, how do you all do it?

I would assume something like refrigerate over night then siphon. But Im not sure.

Thats the date the yeast was produced.
I chill mine to drop the yeast out of suspension ans then just pour off the wort

You won't need a siphon if you chill it well. You can easily pour it off. Do the vials say when the yeast was made or just the "used by date"? I don't remember.

Blender said:
You won't need a siphon if you chill it well. You can easily pour it off. Do the vials say when the yeast was made or just the "used by date"? I don't remember.

The use by date. How do I know what the production date was? I thought I read it was 4 months before use by date on White Labs' website.

Also, according to Mr. Malty that says I should use 2 vials per starter based on a 1.062 og beer. Isnt that still a lot?

BrooZer said:
Also, according to Mr. Malty that says I should use 2 vials per starter based on a 1.062 og beer. Isnt that still a lot?

Did you select the proper type of starter and slide the groth factor slider over to the right?

From http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/instructs.html

When using Wyeast packs, the date on the package is the production date and can be entered directly. When using White Labs vials, the date on the vial is a 'best by' date and the production date is 4 months prior to that for ale and lager yeasts (6 months for brett and bacteria products). Either enter the production date in the field or click the small calendar to the right of the date, to bring up a calendar that you can select the date from.

SuperiorBrew said:
Did you select the proper type of starter and slide the groth factor slider over to the right?

OK, i tried out the slider. according to that it says i need to make a 1.25 gallon starter if want to use one vial. Is that a huge starter?

Anchor Liberty clone. I am done now but want to understand how to use Mr. Malty to make starters correctly.

The og is 1.062.

That sound about right if your yeast was a month or two old and you have a fairly high gravity beer.
Just get your yeast as fresh as you can and make as close to what it recomends as you can or have the equipment / ingredients for.

Latest posts

Back