1 Gallon Cider Experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were refering to my post about the caramel... the one I prefered was...
5gal batch
5.25 gal apple juice
2 lbs sugar
1 packet nottingham yeast
Ferment 10 days, rack to secondary with 2 packets mulling spices for 5 days, bottle
Backsweeten @ bottle with caramel syrup (1c. Water & 1c. Brown sugar simmered down to ~3/4c.) And 3 room temp frozen apple juice concentrate

If you want sparkling keep bottles @ room temp for 1-5 days (use a pet indicator bottle) and either pasteurize or cold crash

I usualy do still ciders and just cold store my bottles

If I left anything out let me know

Safa or whomever was doing the coffee experiment... what did you think? Do you think adding cold brewed coffee with the primary must, add to secondary or add at bottling? Or do I need to get off my butt and brew some coffee cider?

Robbyhicks, thanks for the recipe! Stoutlover, I assume that's the caramel one you were talking about? Not sure which maple one you are referring to?

As for the coffee cider, I'll let you know when I've made one I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, unfortunately my coffee cider experiments are halted for the moment, life got in the way and my cider developed some mold! I didn't want to mess with it, so I just dumped it :(. Moving to Alabama in about two weeks, so all brewing is completely stopped until settled.

I do however have excellent news regarding my imperial cider.We kicked the keg in one day, and everyone was delightfully hammered!

Recipe:
5 gallons cheap crappy apple juice
1.5lbs lactose
64 fluid ounces of grade B maple syrup
1lb dark toasted oak chips (into primary 1 week before kegging)
Champagne Yeast
Fermented at 60 degrees for three? weeks. Maybe four. Cant remember!

*oak chips were soaked in water ovnernight, then toasted in the oven at 400 until deep brown/slightly singed in places (deep vanilla smell). They were then thrown into a mason jar and covered up with some dark island rum to soak for a few weeks. I dried the chips out before adding to primary by straining and then putting them in a brown paper bag to waft until completely dry.

The lactose dd its job beautifully. It raised FG by 9 gravity points in theory, and the sweetness of the cider was absolutely spot on. Not too sweet, not dry, right in the middle where drinkability is at its best. I will say though, that the maple syrup flavour was not noticeable at all. I dont know if it contributed any complexity to the taste, but there was zero colour or flavour that I could personally pick out.

The theoretical ABV was 10.5 I believe (if I did my calculations correctly), and it certainly played out that way. A few buddies had three glasses of the stuff and were absolutely flying.

The biggest surprise for me, was that this cider was delicious within a month. Usually high gravity stuff needs to age out, but this came out of the primary swinging. Not sure why, but I'm not arguing! Maybe the oak chips? Anyway, happy brewing.

Back