I need your Simcoe recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenH

Reaction score
I started brewing after Christmas last year, obviously missing out on most of the great hops. A few weeks ago I bought a pound of 2011 Simcoe pellets from ebay for $20 shipped, last week I bought a pound of 2012 leaf Simcoe. The only commercial example that I know that I have had is DFH60, I do love piney, dank hops like Columbus and Chinook. I need some recipes to use up all of this Simcoe. I do AG (5 and 10gal) and since I started kegging, I would love a smaller APA style beer (IPA's on tap equal a bad morning for me).
I also have the following hops on hand:
12oz Cascade 2011 organic (New Mexico, pretty amazing)
8oz Centennial pellets 2011
2oz Summit pellet 2011
2oz Palisade pellet 2011
4oz Nelson Sauvin pellet 2011
13oz Chinook pellet 2011
1lb Centennial leaf 2012
1lb Amarillo pellet 2012 (ships next week)
1lb Centennial pellet 2012 (ships next week)
1lb Citra pellet 2012 (ships next week)
1lb Nelson Sauvin pellet 2012 (ships next week)
Any help would be appreciated.

2012 Simcoe leaf and Centennial leaf was from freshhops.com, 2012 Citra, Nelson Sauvin, Centennial and Amarillo pellets were pre-order from Label Peelers, they will ship sometime next week.

Step one: Brew any pale ale/IPA
Step two: Add 5-12 oz of Simcoe
Step three: Profit

Here's my recipe:

12 lbs two row
.75 lb c-20
.5 lb sugar
1 oz warrior @ 60
4 oz Simcoe @ 2 mins
4 oz Simcoe dry hop 3 days @ 70 degrees
WLP002/wyeast 1968 yeast

Mash @ 149
Ferment at 62-64

1.065 OG
65 IBU

Won a gold medal and a silver medal

rexbanner said:

Here's my recipe:

12 lbs two row
.75 lb c-20
.5 lb sugar
1 oz warrior @ 60
4 oz Simcoe @ 2 mins
WLP002/wyeast 1968 yeast

Mash @ 149
Ferment at 62-64

1.065 OG
65 IBU

I guarantee you I will make this and report back. That still leaves me with a pound and a half of Simcoe, anyone else?

You should do this one

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/

45484d1327871493-lake-walk-pale-ale-dsc00983.jpg

Light to medium body, good head/lace, strong grapefruity-orange-mango aroma, chewy biscuity flavor up front, light to medium malt flavor, citrusy-pineapple-peach finish.

I did toast the malt only mine had already been mixed and milled. Other than that I followed the recipe as posted.

Light to medium body, good head/lace, strong grapefruity-orange-mango aroma, chewy biscuity flavor up front, light to medium malt flavor, citrusy-pineapple-peach finish.

I did toast the malt only mine had already been mixed and milled. Other than that I followed the recipe as posted.

Thank you, I will have them hold 2lb out so I can toast it. Sounds really good, this is another "maker". I will report back to this thread.

just bottled this baby

4 Gallon Batch
9.24# Pale (97%)
.13# sugar (3%)

Simcoe pellet 12.2aa 30m .3oz
amarillo 10.4aa 30m .3oz
Simcoe pellet 12.2aa 20m .3oz
amarillo 10.4aa 20m .3oz
Simcoe pellet 12.2aa 10m .4oz
amarillo 10.4aa 10m .4oz
Simcoe pellet 12.2aa 0m .5oz
amarillo 10.4aa 0m .5oz
og 1.058. ferment with us 05 @ 62f, finishing at 72f after 7 days. Dry hop with .5oz simco +.5oz amarillo for another 4 days. While slowly dropping the temperature to 50f.
Fg: 1.010 ibu 70ish

Marris otter/simcoe smash. hop as pale ale or ipa. beauty is in the simplicity. this has been neighborhood staple beer for years.

flipfloptan said:
Marris otter/simcoe smash. hop as pale ale or ipa. beauty is in the simplicity. this has been neighborhood staple beer for years.

What yeast? I just did a simcoe IPA with marris otter a week ago w/s05.

Xpertskir said:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/three-floyds-zombie-dust-clone-303478/

use this malt bill.

FWH 1.25 oz chinook

then equal amounts of simcoe, citra, chinook, ammarillo in aggregate 1.25 at
15, 10, 5, 1

dry hop with an ounce of each. It has an incredible balance of dank and fruity..This keg went FAST.

This recipe looks very interesting, as does the actual Zombie Dust clone. I have been playing with FWH lately with mixed results. Looks like I will add this one to the list.

My last IPA used 4oz of Simcoe:

(The full recipe we used was posted on here, search for my threads, you should find it)

Hop bill was:

1oz Centennial for bittering (honestly, you can use whatever bittering you like, this was what I had on hand, was 10% AA, IIRC)
.75 oz Simcoe and Amarillo at 20 minutes
1.25oz Simcoe and Amarillo at 5 minutes
2oz Simcoe and Amarillo dry hop for 7 days.

I wish the Amarillo I had would have been fresh, because the character from the Amarillo was weaker than it should have been. However, it was a very drinkable, very hop forward beer, and the aroma was very nice.

We used US-05 at 67 degrees.

Simcoe and Amarillo together is delicious.

shelly_belly said:

I made this about 5 weeks ago, it has been in gas for about 2 weeks.

image-532793928.jpg

I had to use Centennial in place of Amarillo (my 2012 Amarillo was a few weeks late getting here). This is a awesome recipe! I will be making this again in the next couple of weeks with Amarillo.

Here's my recipe:

12 lbs two row
.75 lb c-20
.5 lb sugar
1 oz warrior @ 60
4 oz Simcoe @ 2 mins
WLP002/wyeast 1968 yeast

Mash @ 149
Ferment at 62-64

1.065 OG
65 IBU

This almost exactly what I brewed today. :rockin:

allenH said:
I made this about 5 weeks ago, it has been in gas for about 2 weeks.

I had to use Centennial in place of Amarillo (my 2012 Amarillo was a few weeks late getting here). This is a awesome recipe! I will be making this again in the next couple of weeks with Amarillo.

Nice kegerator. Just got one for free with aco2 tank. Now just need some kegs!

I love simcoe

sethlovex said:
Nice kegerator. Just got one for free with aco2 tank. Now just need some kegs!

I love simcoe

image-4133844117.jpg

I love my kegerator, I got it free from my work, brand new with a dented rear corner. I like the versatility of a top freezer

image-743224143.jpg

It holds 6 kegs and beers in the door (it's a mess right now) and I have 10lb of hops in the freezer.

Back