What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a pH meter, meat thermometer and a 0.001g scales. Worked on first draft of a neipa that I'm planning next.

Drank it because it needed dranking. LOL

Apfelrauchbier

20180227_220922.jpg

Made yeast starter. Going to be gen 3. Ordered some ingredients. Should be good for a few brews.

Saison. Such an exquisite style. Good luck with your batch, BTW did you use 3711 or 3724? I like to mix the two.

3711. it is the cottage house saison recipe here on the site. i made it about a year ago and that was the batch where my glass carboy blew up on me. lost 5 gallons of beer and spilled all over my brew stand/basement floor. no injuries to me, fortunately but i only got to enjoy 5 gallons out of the original 10 i made.

i went and got pet carboys later that week.:D

Installed a water pressure gauge on the water input of the brewstand to help fine tune the boil kettle condenser and installed a new Chugger Mini Max pump. Going to use it on the boil kettle exclusively. Hoping the higher power motor will increase the flow somewhat through the plate chiller, O2 stone etc.

Drinking some because hey, it's there. Also overthinking what I want to brew next...and next...and what to brew for Fantasy Football draft in August because I opened my big mouth and said I would....and drinking some beer. And deciding how much I can spend at the LHBS tomorrow without making the husband have knicker fits. "But honey, if I buy a full bag of two row I'm SAVING money!"...that I can then spend on more yeast and maybe some kind of hop I've never used before. And hoping the boss got everything ready for brew day tomorrow so I have TIME to hit the LHBS before they close. Sometimes I think homebrewing is the only thing that makes me think.

My "beer guy" has a bulk grain sale tomorrow. Bags of 2row for 30 bux.... yup
Trouble is its GF birthday, and the trip will kill a good 3 hours lol. Hope the presents and cake hit a home run! lol

My "beer guy" has a bulk grain sale tomorrow. Bags of 2row for 30 bux.... yup
Trouble is its GF birthday, and the trip will kill a good 3 hours lol. Hope the presents and cake hit a home run! lol

If she likes beer, take her with you and let her pick the recipe...that would be an awesome birthday present in my book.

Cleaned a keg and then kegged 5 gallons of kolsch. Carbing up and cold crashing now.

Got up early like a kid at Christmas to check on the Bittersweet Red I brought home from the brewery yesterday, awesome boss always makes sure we have enough volume when we're done so I can take some home for myself. That way I can experiment with different yeasts and temperatures to see if we can improve. Used the slurry from my cream ale (was straight Notty) and wasn't expecting what I walked into...blowoff going nuts, foam escaping from one side of the lid, and a small mess on the floor. Not to mention the delicious smell that now permeates the room. Oh yes this will be fantastic. And made a mental note to retire the current lids and buy new ones.

Made an all grain yeast starter (10 ounces pale malt) with some yeast I've kept under beer since about November or maybe January.
Cleaned a mini keg I borrowed from a club member for a 1 gallon batch.
Entered my Celebration Ale Clone recipe from BYO into beer smith.

I should really clean the rest of my kegs but I'm just not that motivated right now. Maybe in a few minutes when I realize how easy it will be to do.

Calibrated my new pH meter, measured some reserved samples from bottling my lambic-style beer and a wild yeast experiment. Also examined my streaked agar plates from said wild yeast culture; looks good to me...ready for prime time I think.

Attachments

• 20180304_115648 (2).jpg
    20180304_115648 (2).jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 72
Got antsy and checked the gravity on the House IPA I brewed Sunday (don't hate me cause it's beautiful). Down to 1.012 from 1.059 in less than 3 days, hoo boy. Then realized I'm out of hop bags to do the dry hop. Now trying to figure out where in this busy week I'll have time to run to Home Ripoff for paint strainer bags; kegging at the brewery tomorrow, bowling Thursday and Friday, helping a friend move Saturday and Sunday, and trying to fit a brew day in there somewhere to use up the rest of the grain I have on hand, to keep the pipeline going. My brain hurts.

10 ozs of dry hops on day 7 for my neipa, that's on top of 8oz in day 3. 10 g batch. Pushed co2 through the dump valve to limit o2 exposure. 10psi was way too much. Had foam coming out my tri on the lid and hop dust was blowing in the wind.

All we are is hop dust in the wind.

Checked co2 tank to make sure I have enough to force carb the two kegs I'm going to fill this week, and mentally went over the checklist for brewday tomorrow, doing a hoppy brown. Need to find me a 20lb co2 tank cheap although my 5lb usually lasts me about 3 months. Also made sure I have enough left in the two kegs on tap to take some in growlers to the moving party I got roped into today.

Back