question about Krausen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHaught

Reaction score
So I have had my latest pale ale in the fermenter for about 9 days now and the airlock is still bubbling relatively slowly. I popped the lid off the bucket tonight to take a gravity reading and the beer is still covered by a thick layer of Karusen.
I used Wyeast 1272 in this batch as well as the last pale ale I made.
All my prior experience has been with US-05 and Nottingham in my other ales. In all my other batches by this time the surface of the beer was pretty clear and I could take gravity readings easily.
Should I wait longer to see if it clears on it's own or should I sanitize my large spoon and scoop the Krausen off the beer?

Leave the beer alone and let the yeast do their thing. Be patient and check it again in another week or two.

It's probably early for a reading, but since this is an early batch for you, it will probably be a good experience.

The dropping of the kraeusen is one of those yeasty things that we are not in control of. Don't worry about it.

I did a Scottish ale with WLP028, the kraeusen hung around for 2 and a half weeks. With S04, it usually drops at about day 3. But it's all moot, since I usually give it four weeks before bottling anyway.

I'd give it some more time. Given enough time, the krausen will usually fall on its own. I've had krausen after 3 weeks.

If you're impatient, try giving the fermenter a little swirl - that can sometimes help a persistent krausen fall.

I'm having the same issue in a Sierra Nevada clone with white labs American Ale yeast. After two weeks in a new plastic conical, it still hadn't fallen and was quite thick. I finally scraped it off and tasted the brew. Kreusen was about 1/2" thick and semi solid. It was about 1/2 qt in volume. Beer tasted just fine.

A new kreusen is forming (slowly). I'm glad I removed it as it would have just been more to dump out the bottom.

Well I'll wait longer. No worries I guess. These are my first couple batches using liquid yeast and this is definitely different than my prior batches so I was just wondering if it is normal for the Krausen to hold on for this long with this yeast.
I normally rack to secondary and the last batch I did I scooped off the krausen then racked.
Everyone on here goes on so much about staying in the primary for 2 to 4 weeks that I'm going to go ahead and leave this batch in the primary until bottling time and see how it turns out.

Back