Bulk Hop Timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
When is the best time to purchase bulk hops in relation to harvest? I'd like to buy a few pounds, but I want to make sure they're somewhat fresh when I buy them. If I buy now, am I likely to get 2009 hops or 2010?

Thanks in advance!

The harvest hasn't started around here and probably won't for a few more weeks. Then add 1-2 months for processing and distribution. Anything you buy before November is likely to be from last year. On the other hand, you'll see great deals on 2009 hops as people are clearing the pipeline.

Properly stored, there is nothing wrong with 1-2 year old hops. Commercial & craft breweries both use the same season hops as us homebrewers. They might get the new crops 1-2 months before us, but they brew year round just like we do.

Like david_42 said, leaf hops will be available Nov-Dec and Pellets usually not until Jan-Feb.

The harvest hasn't started around here and probably won't for a few more weeks. Then add 1-2 months for processing and distribution. Anything you buy before November is likely to be from last year. On the other hand, you'll see great deals on 2009 hops as people are clearing the pipeline.

I aint waitin' 'till November! 2009 hops here I come. Thanks for the info guys.

Latest posts

Back