Getting a keg system...YES!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
So after allocating $500 to mirror my "man cave" with a Gentleman's Loft (the planned attic retreat I was going to build) and learning my attic isn't structurally sound enough to support a floor and normal room use, SWMBO gave the go ahead to spend that on a new kegging system! Heeeeellllll yeahhhhhh! :ban:

I'm thinking of getting 2 brand new ball lock kegs, the 10lb Co2 dispenser kit, and an additional serving kit from Cornykeg.com and a dual manifold to split the Co2 from MidwestSupplies.com/

Sound like a good plan? Any suggestions otherwise? I want nice looking kegs so I'm going new. Any other advantages to them?

So after allocating $500 to mirror my "man cave" with a Gentleman's Loft (the planned attic retreat I was going to build) and learning my attic isn't structurally sound enough to support a floor and normal room use, SWMBO gave the go ahead to spend that on a new kegging system! Heeeeellllll yeahhhhhh! :ban:

I'm thinking of getting 2 brand new ball lock kegs, the 10lb Co2 dispenser kit, and an additional serving kit from Cornykeg.com and a dual manifold to split the Co2 from MidwestSupplies.com/

Sound like a good plan? Any suggestions otherwise? I want nice looking kegs so I'm going new. Any other advantages to them?

Don't waste your money on brand new kegs. That money can be spent elsewhere...like perlick faucets (if you're going that route). It sounds like you're wanting to dispense using picnic tap? For 2 kegs, you won't need 10lbs. of co2. I have 3 taps on one of my kegerators and I go through a 5lb co2 tank after about 8-10 kegs. I could probably get more, but I use the CO2 to transfer beer/fill bottles with beer gun/clean kegs.

If you really want a nice keg, then you can shine them up. If you don't want to work, then buy one new and one used. I always thought having nice kegs would be great...but people don't care if what's inside is good.

I want nice looking kegs so I'm going new. Any other advantages to them?

No, no advantages IMO, and generally a waste of money as you won't see them much. For the price of 1 new keg, you can usually find three or so reconditioned (polished even from sabco @ brew-magic.com) that literally do the exact same thing as a new keg. Because you asked, I'm saying go used, way more bang for your buck.

+1 buy used kegs, and probably more than you think you need. Not sure how much or how often you brew, though.

Maybe get a secondary regulator as well, to do your serving from while another keg(s) are carbonating.

Don't waste your money on brand new kegs. That money can be spent elsewhere...like perlick faucets (if you're going that route). It sounds like you're wanting to dispense using picnic tap? For 2 kegs, you won't need 10lbs. of co2. I have 3 taps on one of my kegerators and I go through a 5lb co2 tank after about 8-10 kegs. I could probably get more, but I use the CO2 to transfer beer/fill bottles with beer gun/clean kegs.

If you really want a nice keg, then you can shine them up. If you don't want to work, then buy one new and one used. I always thought having nice kegs would be great...but people don't care if what's inside is good.

Thanks for the input man. Just a question though:

Won't a 10lb Co2 tank let me only refill from the normal 8-10 kegs per fill (with 5 lb one) to 16-20 kegs per fill?

No, no advantages IMO, and generally a waste of money as you won't see them much. For the price of 1 new keg, you can usually find three or so reconditioned (polished even from sabco @ brew-magic.com) that literally do the exact same thing as a new keg. Because you asked, I'm saying go used, way more bang for your buck.

That Brew-magic link is GREAT man. Truly, GREAT!!! Reading about those I am definitely getting some used ones from there! Thanks again!!! 4 pack it is!!!

That Brew-magic link is GREAT man. Truly, GREAT!!! Reading about those I am definitely getting some used ones from there! Thanks again!!! 4 pack it is!!!

You will like those kegs from Sabco.As for your CO2 I would check locally and see what is available from who you plan to refill from. In my area tanks are swapped and not filled on site. I bought a tank from them 5 years ago for $85.00 and swap it. I don't have to have hydro testing done ever. I started to have trouble getting 10# tanks so my dealer just gave me a 20# tank in trade. Yes they are steel tanks but not rusty. They are painted and decent shape.

Thanks for the input man. Just a question though:

Won't a 10lb Co2 tank let me only refill from the normal 8-10 kegs per fill (with 5 lb one) to 16-20 kegs per fill?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm assuming you're asking if your co2 output would double. Yes, pretty much. A 10lb tank will last you a lot longer, but it's bigger and a waste of space for just a few kegs. Of course, I guess that depends on what price you're paying for co2. If it's a good price difference to go bigger, then do it. I only pay $5 for a 5lb. tank.

Don't look at that site too much...it'll make your wallet hurt. So many cool things on the site, but soooo expensive.

Of course, I guess that depends on what price you're paying for co2. If it's a good price difference to go bigger, then do it. I only pay $5 for a 5lb. tank.

definitely check the prices for refills...if you have the room, i'd go bigger. it's only $5 more to fill a 20# than a 5# where i get filled...they charge a flat fee for labor at my place...the gas is way cheaper than the labor

Back