Smallest Fermentation Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatp2

Reaction score
I've looked around the forums and it appears that the Haier NuCool 2.8 cubic foot is the smallest fridge you can get that will fit a 5 gallon better bottle with little to no modification. But it looks like the nucool is no longer in production.

Anyone have a recommendation on a similar fridge? I know there are a ton of options out there. My priority is to have it be as small as possible and not have to do a bunch of mod to it. (I don't want to get out 2x4's or anything like that).

The frigidaire 4.4 cubic foot one from Lowes is what I may end up with but I was hoping for smaller.

Nate

Wowza. I bought my NuCool for $60 not long ago at target. It's a shame these fridges have been killed. They got terrible reviews on the websites because people didn't understand that they could only really manage a 40-50 degree temperature delta. I suspect they got too many angry returns, but they make phenomenal fermentation fridges. Even at $180, I'd consider buying another one now if I had the space for it.

For not much bigger than a single-carboy fridge, you can get a good chest freezer that can hold two carboys. That's not really an answer to your question, of course, but it might be worth considering. Good luck! :mug:

Yes, I've seen them online at 180$ but that seems a bit pricey to me. Anyone else have good luck with another SMALL footprint fermentation fridge?

i have been wanting to get one myself, but have noticed that the haier is no longer available; and if you find one it is priced really high compared to what it used to be at target. i have been searching like crazy for the last few days for something similar and i found one. it uses the same thermoelectric cooling as the haier nucool so it shouldnt have that compressor hump that gets in the way. it isnt cheaper by much, but the web site i found has it for $135 shipped. amazon has it at $122, but im not sure what shipping charges are. The name of the fridge is an avanti superconductor 2.5 cu-ft fridge (SHP2501B). slightly smaller than the haier, but target.com (who has it priced at $169) has the interior dimensions at....Interior Depth 18.5" ; Refrigerator Interior Height. 27.0 "; Refrigerator Interior Width 15.0." after measuring my bucket and 5gal glass carboy i think it will fit with an airlock and have a little room left. the website that is selling it for 135 shipped has the dimensions listed at 29" H x 17" W x 20.5" D. not sure which to believe, but both measurements should work. links are below...

http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product.asp?sku=26556&ref=cFroogle

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...324560&ci_sku=B0028P51BS&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001

i am considering ordering this since it is the next smallest thing i could find for a decent price.

EDIT:
i decided to pick up one of these avanti's from that homeeverything.com website i listed above for $135 shipped. i think they have some sale going on where there is free shipping so i decided to jump on it. wish the old haiers were still around for $70, but this seems to be the next best thing i could find, and compared to the 180 + shipping that they are now, this one doesnt seem too bad. i'll post a follow up when it gets here.

refect said:
i have been wanting to get one myself, but have noticed that the haier is no longer available; and if you find one it is priced really high compared to what it used to be at target. i have been searching like crazy for the last few days for something similar and i found one. it uses the same thermoelectric cooling as the haier nucool so it shouldnt have that compressor hump that gets in the way. it isnt cheaper by much, but the web site i found has it for $135 shipped. amazon has it at $122, but im not sure what shipping charges are. The name of the fridge is an avanti superconductor 2.5 cu-ft fridge (SHP2501B). slightly smaller than the haier, but target.com (who has it priced at $169) has the interior dimensions at....Interior Depth 18.5" ; Refrigerator Interior Height. 27.0 "; Refrigerator Interior Width 15.0." after measuring my bucket and 5gal glass carboy i think it will fit with an airlock and have a little room left. the website that is selling it for 135 shipped has the dimensions listed at 29" H x 17" W x 20.5" D. not sure which to believe, but both measurements should work. links are below...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/186-1679445-5344146?asin=B0028P51BS&AFID=Nextag_df&LNM=|B0028P51BS&CPNG=appliances&ci_src=9324560&ci_sku=B0028P51BS&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001

i am considering ordering this since it is the next smallest thing i could find for a decent price.

EDIT:
i decided to pick up one of these avanti's from that homeeverything.com website i listed above for $135 shipped. i think they have some sale going on where there is free shipping so i decided to jump on it. wish the old haiers were still around for $70, but this seems to be the next best thing i could find, and compared to the 180 + shipping that they are now, this one doesnt seem too bad. i'll post a follow up when it gets here.

Yes, please follow up with a review. Could you post temps as well?

This is a very good thread. Anyone else been using a mini fridge for fermentation?

I'm using a Frigidare wine chiller for fermentation. With the temp swings here in Texas it was the only thing I could think of that would allow for all year brewing.

Stardust said:
I'm using a Frigidare wine chiller for fermentation. With the temp swings here in Texas it was the only thing I could think of that would allow for all year brewing.

How big is it? Model?

Frigidaire 42-Bottle Capacity Wine Cooler Model #: LFWC42F5LS

it has the compressor hump in it but it is still big enough to allow a fermentation bucket or carboy with air lock.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...324560&ci_sku=B0028P51BS&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001

EDIT:

homeeverything.com no longer has them on sale. The best choice right now is amazon.com which has them for $122 (not sure about shipping). I might order one today since I can't find the Haier anywhere for less than $180.

my fridge is on back order right now. hopefully i will have it some time next week and can get it going with some results.

my fridge is on back order right now. hopefully i will have it some time next week and can get it going with some results.

I waited 3 weeks for my "backordered" Haier Nucool which I eventually gave up on. Hope you have better luck.

I found a NuCool on Craigslist and bought it for $50. (BTW, there are threads on here about NuCool) It works well so far (my first NuCool batch is finishing up today). Keep in mind that you do have to carve the shelves out. But once you do, it fits an ale pail with no worries. And its very, very quiet and has a small footprint. Check out craigslist in your area - no one has it in stock online.

I just looked on craigslist NYC - there is a NuCool in Newburgh/New Windsor/The Mount posted yesterday. $50 obo. May not last long for anyone else reading this thread...

EDIT:

I got one of the Avantis yesterday. I was $122 plus maybe about $20 for shipping from amazon. It fits a 5 gallon carboy and just barely fit my 6.5 gallon bucket but you need to cut a circle out of the two shelves on the door. It took me about 15 minutes with a dremel and I'm probably going to cover it up with tape afterwards. My tall (I think it's 7.5 gallon) bottling bucket didn't quite fit but it doesn't matter because I don't need to put in in there either.

I put a 3 carboy filled with beer in there last night and set it on max. This morning, about 12 hours later the temperature read 38. The ambient temp in the room was probably around 66. Should be perfect for lagering.

The Avanti looks alomst identical to the NuCool except it has more space inside??? Isnm't the NuCool a 1.7? I'll have to keep the Avanti in mind if a need a new one.

I got one of the Avantis yesterday. I was $122 plus maybe about $20 for shipping from amazon. It fits a 5 gallon carboy and just barely fit my 6.5 gallon bucket but you need to cut a circle out of the two shelves on the door. It took me about 15 minutes with a dremel and I'm probably going to cover it up with tape afterwards. My tall (I think it's 7.5 gallon) bottling bucket didn't quite fit but it doesn't matter because I don't need to put in in there either.

I put a 3 carboy filled with beer in there last night and set it on max. This morning, about 12 hours later the temperature read 38. The ambient temp in the room was probably around 66. Should be perfect for lagering.

Glad to hear this. Can't wait for them to ship my avanti! It's still on back order :mad: maybe I should of went with amazon

gio said:

What is the inside height of the fridge? I want to get it if I can fit my 6.5 carboy inside.

What is the inside height of the fridge? I want to get it if I can fit my 6.5 carboy inside.

the websites have the interior height listed at 27 inches. i dont have mine yet to confirm it is right on that mark, but based on that info, and the info provided on www.ebrew.com about carboy height. they say a 6.5 gallon glass carboy is 21 inches tall, and with an airlock it is 27.25 inches tall. plenty of room for the 6.5 to fit without an airlock, but cutting it pretty close with one on. based on this information, i would think a 6.5 would fit no problem with some alternate airlock (like a blow off tube) or possibly a low profile airlock. i am just going on listed facts though since i don't have mine yet. maybe someone else can back this info up?

Has the mini-fridge arrived? What are your thoughts?

I'll measure it when I get home. It might be tight. I didn't have a 6.5 carboy to try. The width and depth seem to be about 13"x13" but I haven't yet measured the height.

Has the mini-fridge arrived? What are your thoughts?

Haven't got mine yet. Homeeverything is horrible with shipping this. I'm gonna give them a little longer before I cancel and order with someone else. it's mid 80's down here in florida right now, and my house is usually about 76-78 degrees inside so i can't brew right now because it is too hot. i dont feel like dealing with swamping my carboy and icing it either so for now i just gotta wait to get my fridge. man am i getting anxious to brew again though!!

I'll measure it when I get home. It might be tight. I didn't have a 6.5 carboy to try. The width and depth seem to be about 13"x13" but I haven't yet measured the height.

I just measured it:

width: 13 1/2 inches
depth: 13 inches
height: 24 1/2 inches

The shelves on the door are about 3 1/2 inches wide. I cut a circle in them so they are only about 1/2 inch now.

To give an update....

I finally got my Avanti the other week!! After like a month of waiting on back order!! :mad: homeeverything sucked with shipping, but I guess it was worth the wait because $135 shipped isn’t a bad deal. Anyways, after testing it out, it seems to be a pretty good fridge. I haven’t had a chance to see how cold it can get a carboy with beer, but it will be perfect for brewing ales. You might be able to lager in it too based on what gio has said, but I would not rely on this fridge for fast cooling or cold crashing. It doesn’t have a compressor in it so it can’t cool fast enough, but the technology used in this fridge is good enough for keeping things nice and cold, and can get them to a really cold temperature with some time.

Now for fitting carboys and buckets...

The dimensions gio gave above are pretty spot on with this fridge. The bucket I have didn't quite fit too well, but the smaller one gio had mentioned about earlier did. So if you ferment in buckets I would be careful because yours might not fit. Now my 5 gallon glass carboy fits in there perfectly with plenty of room. My 6.5 gallon glass carboy also fit with just enough room on the sides front and back for there to be a little space. That is with my low profile airlock too. You might be able to fit one of the 3 piece airlocks in there, but I can’t confirm this because I only use the s shape airlock and my low profile. You also can easily manage to fit a blow of tube in there as well. Just would have to snake the tube around and set a cup in the corner on top of the carboy.

The door of the fridge is the main thing that gets in the way, but I already knew this would be a problem based on reviews of the haier nucool. Cutting out the shelves should be able to make your 5 gallon carboy fit, but if you want to fit a 6.5 gallon you gotta shave off the whole door. The door shelves are not bolted on and it's pretty much one piece. I removed it by taking a utility knife and cutting out the shelves and breaking them off the foam insulation (i followed this guys method with what he did to his door during a keezer build... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-conversion-frigidaire-lfph44m4lm-221800 ). Make sure to take off the black fridge liner/sealer first so you dont damage it. It is just pressed into the door so it just pops out. It isnt glued down or screwed in. Once all the shelves were removed, I carved/shaved down the foam with a knife to make it flush with the door. I am sure a dremel would work fine to cut the shelves; I just didn’t have one on hand. I then took a piece of 1/8" thick mark-r-board from lowes, cut it to the size of the area I cut out of the door, and glued it down with some foam safe caulking. I didn’t feel like taking the time to gut out the foam to make the board sit flush with the door so it sticks out a little. No problems here though. All I have to do now is add a bit of caulk around the edges of my board to make it look nicer and completely sealed off.

Below are some pics of my fridge so far with my 6.5 gallon glass carboy and low profile airlock sitting in it....all that is left to do now is my temp controller and finish sealing off the door pannel and i can start brewing again :)

EDIT: there is a switch on the side of the fridge which turns the little led light on inside when the door is open. it also shuts the fridge off when the door is open, and then turns it back on when the fridge is closed. the shelves built into the door are what usually pushes on this when it is closed. you can see in the pics below that i just put some duct tape over it to keep it pushed down so the fridge will run with the shelves cut off.

minifridge1.jpg

minifridge2.jpg

minifridge3.jpg

Nice write up.

Just to clarify you say your 5 gallon glass carboy fits, but then next paragraph, "cutting out the shelves should be able to make your 5 gallon carboy fit." So does the 5g fit only after going to work on the shelves? Or are we talking about different fermenters?

Nice write up.

Just to clarify you say your 5 gallon glass carboy fits, but then next paragraph, "cutting out the shelves should be able to make your 5 gallon carboy fit." So does the 5g fit only after going to work on the shelves? Or are we talking about different fermenters?

yeah sorry, i can see how the way i said that could confuse people. you are going to have to cut your shelves regardless. A 5 gallon will fit with more room left over than a 6.5 gallon, but they both will fit. However, you might not have to cut the shelves as crazy as i did if you were only using it for a 5 gallon. I pulled this from the haier nucool thread, but something like this might work for 5 gallon carboys because the avanti shelves are very similar to the haier nucool. Now i cant confirm this because i went straight to hacking the door completely off, but it might work cutting it like this for a 5 gallon....

12504d1250458809-haier-nucool-fermentation-dremel-fridge-working.jpg

How do these fridges perform using the included thermostat? Any issues crop up using an external controller?

I don't see a point in using an external controller. Adjusting the thermostat, I can keep a beer at a given temperature +/- 1 degree fahrenheit with daily adjustments.

gio said:
I don't see a point in using an external controller. Adjusting the thermostat, I can keep a beer at a given temperature +/- 1 degree fahrenheit with daily adjustments.

Does it work well keeping temps in the 60s for ales? Is lagering possible with this fridge? It looks like the perfect size for the limited space I have and it costs a lot less than a small chest freezer w/ a controller.

Great thread! I've been searching for the smallest fermentation fridge/freezer, given my current living situation.

This looks to be a great choice. Pics and follow up were tremendous help.

The other one I was looking at was the Emerson 3.5cf chest freezer. Inside dimensions look to be able to fit a 6.5glass or a 5BB with blow off.

The additional benefit of the chest freezer would be to turn it into a keezer, as well. Although that's well into the future. But, by the looks of it, I should be able to use the avanti mentioned in this thread as a kegerator too?

Does it work well keeping temps in the 60s for ales? Is lagering possible with this fridge? It looks like the perfect size for the limited space I have and it costs a lot less than a small chest freezer w/ a controller.

I was able to keep it at 50 degrees for an extended period with little difficulty. I haven't tried higher temperatures yet. It can go as low as about 35 or so for lagering depending on the ambient temperature of the room you are in.

Thanks for the info Gio. Rouge, will that Emerson 3.5 fit a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy without modification? The size is perfect for what I need.

Lobotomy said:
Thanks for the info Gio. Rouge, will that Emerson 3.5 fit a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy without modification? The size is perfect for what I need.

From what I measured, yes and with a 3piece airlock. Let me check dimensions again, thankfully they are stated in "interior " terms.

It's at target and sold also through amazon for 140.

RogueGoose85 said:
From what I measured, yes and with a 3piece airlock. Let me check dimensions again, thankfully they are stated in "interior " terms.

It's at target and sold also through amazon for 140.

Freezer compartment:
H: 27.1
W: 17.9
D: 13.9

6.5 with airlock:
H: 25
W:~13

I'm bringing my Carboy to target to try it this weekend actually lol

IMHO, get a temperature controller. I never, ever think about the temperature because I use this. It is EXTREMELY simple to use (plug the frig/freezer into the controller and then the controller into the wall). It does not require rewiring or any knowledge or know-how of any sort. It will cost about $70 for a Johnson controller but it is completely worth it.

i am using a love temp controller with mine. mainly because i want the option to set my temp and forget about it. i am always busy so having to make constant adjustments to keep it at a steady temp wont work with me. right now i have a porter sitting in my avanti fridge fermenting at a steady 63-64 degrees. just set the carboy in, tape/insulate the temp probe to the carboy, set the fermenting temp on the external controller, and then wait for fermenting to complete. it makes things a lot easier (for me at least) using the external controller. i havent tried to see how cold i can go with the fridge yet. maybe one day i will try to lager in it if i can get it down to the temps gio mentioned. for now though i am mainly making ales in this fridge, but so far i love this fridge!

Just noticed that the Emerson I was mentioning, it's wide enough to do 2 3G BB also. Which is great for stove top full boils, splitting a batch for fruit additions etc.

I'm going to target today. I'll post results

Back