Gas Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
Do I have to have one of these? I was cleaning my pin lock kegs that I bought a while ago and noticed that they don't have gas dip tubes.

Hrmm, will the gas in fitting seal without one? I mean, the poppit? Have you pressurized them without them? If they hold pressure without them, then I dont see why you would, they dont really DO anthing.

I know on my ball locks, the poppets sits atop the flange at the top of the gas dip tube... without that tube, I dont know that the poppet would seal properly.

The keg will leak without the tube and o'ring because the tube supports the o'ring so it will seal on the sides as well as the tube itself. You need to find the tubes or have a machinist make a solid machined version of the tube.

Look closer. Pinlocks have VERY short gas tubes. I mean, like 1/4" long, just enough to hold the Oring in place. It's pretty common for the tube to stick inside the post when you remove it.

Look closer. Pinlocks have VERY short gas tubes. I mean, like 1/4" long, just enough to hold the Oring in place. It's pretty common for the tube to stick inside the post when you remove it.

Yuppers... I wondered where half of mine were when I was breaking them down...

I just assumed there weren't dip tubes because I ran my hand over the inside of the keg where the tube should stick out and there was nothing there. If there is a dip tube there what is the best way to get it out?

Back