A Sam Adams I Actually Like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
For once I've tried a Sam Adams I actually like! I was at a Boots Texas Roadhouse this evening and they had Sam Adams White Ale on tap. I found it to be a really smooth drinkable beer. It wasn't too hoppy but it had enough for good flavor. They also had bottled stuff from a local microbrewer and the Sam Adams was better!

I tried the White Ale for the first time a month ago and I liked it too. Then again I have liked most of BBC's beers.

I just had their White Ale a few nights ago and thought it was a pretty decent Wit. I actually like the majority of their beers though, with the main exception of the Cherry Wheat...ick.

haha, i saw this post and I immediately thought of how horrible cherry wheat is.

maybe if i had a sore throat it'd be fitting.

White ale is superb and being in New England, just about everyone has it on tap. The only problem is that its out for such a short period of time. I saw the first cases of Sam Summer at the market today...no more white :-(

The other Sam spring brew, the Double Bock, is also very very good. If you can find a six of that grab it. But, drink with care, at 8.8% ABV.

DrewsBrew said:
White ale is superb and being in New England, just about everyone has it on tap. The only problem is that its out for such a short period of time. I saw the first cases of Sam Summer at the market today...no more white :-(

The other Sam spring brew, the Double Bock, is also very very good. If you can find a six of that grab it. But, drink with care, at 8.8% ABV.

The problem, of course, is that the bottles of while ale will sit on shelves across the country while the summer ale just starts to roll. I started spring loving this beer last year, and picked up a sixer in the dog days of summer, and it was terrible. Like most wheat beers, drinking this while young is essential.

mike

Is the white ale the replacement for the spring ale? I didn't see spring ale this year. Is the white ale the same thing as the spring, just renamed? If it is , I won't be drinking it. Sam Spring Ale was the worst of their line next to Cherry Wheat...IMO

White Ale is their spring seasonal.

I actually like just about everything that SA makes. They're not my favorites, but in a pinch they'll serve the purpose.

I bought a variety 12 pack of Sam's a while ago and SWMBO immediately went for the Cherry Wheat saying "this looks good." One sip and she handed it to me knowing I can't bare to see a beer go to waste (I swapped her for my beer). I managed to choke down the CW, but I have to agree it is by far the worst Sam beer that I've had.

A cheaper alternative to buying a 6er of Sam's summer brew is to simply spray lemon scented Pledge furniture polish in your mouth, then eat a handful of fresh cut grass. Just don't get too crazy or the buzz won't go away.

ohiobrewtus said:
I actually like just about everything that SA makes. They're not my favorites, but in a pinch they'll serve the purpose.

Bingo. With "like" being the key word there, I will say the Boston Lager and Irish Red have been treating me well enough lately...

I have been drinking SA White Ale for a few weeks and really enjoy it. Like many others have said, I enjoy most of BBC's brews (I have even been known to have a Cherry Wheat now and then).

SWMBO and I went to dinner Saturday night with our best friends to Pizzeria Uno. After listening to the on-tap beers, I ordered a White ~ tall, of course. When I asked for another, the waitress stopped and asked if I wanted a wedge of orange in this one?!?!?! I looked at her like she had four heads and said 'uhhhhhh, no....' That just took a dollar off your potential tip!

I'm sorry, but fruit wedges belong in girl-drinks.

wildwest450 said:
Isn't wheat beer a girl's drink?;)

Ouch! I guess I left myself open for that. In my defense though, it was a MUCH better choice than the Bud and Coors Light that was the alternative...

rdwj said:
Am I the only person on this board that actually likes the SA Cherry Wheat?

Nope...I dig it and know many that do too!
Years back when I lived in Indiana we had a "Barrel of Wheat" fest at my home...a 1/2bbl of Cherry Wheat.
The only drawback was the smell of the bathroom the next morning lol...

Back