What kind of beer should I make with these ingredients? They only had Wheat for base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop_shots

Reaction score
8lb wheat malt
2lb munich malt
1lb roasted barley

i have about 2lbs of dark malt extract.

yeah, they were out of crystal and 2-row. I have 2 packs of general brewing yeast, and a liquid vial of German ale/kolsch yeast. I was planning on only using the packs, but if you all know of a brew that could involve the german ale, and work...I'm all ears.

thanks, this will be my 3rd brew and 3rd AG at that so I have all the other bases covered

hops i have are, 1oz of each: liberty ,perle, tettnang and saaz

Well, a Kolsch has some wheat in it, but not that much! Actually, the most wheat I've ever used (or seen called for) is ~60%. If you had some 2-row or pilsen malt you could do a Kolsch. If you also had a hefe yeast in addition to the 2-row/pilsen you could do a nice hefeweizen, maybe Schneider-Weisse like with your Munich malt. Ideally, I'd go with a Hallertauer hop but I bet the Tettnang would work.

I'd save the roasted barley for something else.

pop_shots said:
8lb wheat malt
2lb munich malt
1lb roasted barley

i have about 2lbs of dark malt extract.

yeah, they were out of crystal and 2-row. I have 2 packs of general brewing yeast, and a liquid vial of German ale/kolsch yeast. I was planning on only using the packs, but if you all know of a brew that could involve the german ale, and work...I'm all ears.

thanks, this will be my 3rd brew and 3rd AG at that so I have all the other bases covered

hops i have are, 1oz of each: liberty ,perle, tettnang and saaz

The munich malt doesn't provide enough enzymes to mash that much wheat. You will need some substantial amount of 2-row or pilsner malt to make the mash work. You cold make an american hefeweizen with wheat, pilsner malt and the Ale/Koelsh yeast. If you want to go for some color/maltiness, make a dark one with the Munich and some (a little goes a long way) of the roasted barley.

Kai

Back