EXPLODING yeast starer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTBYOOJ

Reaction score
Made a yeast starter in an Erlenmeyer flask yesterday, topped it with the standard piece of tin foil.

Went to give it a shake about 7 hours later and the MOMENT I gave it a slight shake it ERUPTED :eek: violently out of the flask like mentos in diet coke.

What could cause this violent reaction?

Built-up pressure in the flask should have been more than strong enough to pop the tin foil off.

Lost more than 1/4 of the stater liquid, pitched it anyway. Hopefully it will still turn out.

Made a yeast starter in an Erlenmeyer flask yesterday, topped it with the standard piece of tin foil.

Went to give it a shake about 7 hours later and the MOMENT I gave it a slight shake it ERUPTED :eek: violently out of the flask like mentos in diet coke.

What could cause this violent reaction?

Built-up pressure in the flask should have been more than strong enough to pop the tin foil off.

Lost more than 1/4 of the stater liquid, pitched it anyway. Hopefully it will still turn out.

It's because you're in New Orleans. More beer is spilled there than any other place on earth. The beer just finds the ground naturally.

Seriously, though, did you actually shake the flask, or did you swirl it? I will swirl mine for about 10 seconds to get all of the yeast moving and active. I check the bottom of the flask to make sure that there is no sedentary caked yeast there, then set it down.

JohnnyO

I said "shake" but I meant swirl. I barely moved it.

Yeah we have special gutters for spilled beer and daiquiris, so as not to overload the drainage system.

Back