Plate Chillers-Cold Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davegrande

Reaction score
Okay, BYO defines "cold break" as:
"Wort cooling causes solids, called the cold break, to form and fall out of solution. When wort is transferred from the kettle to the fermenter, this break material is left behind. "

I get this and when I use my immersion chiller I see some gunk (trub?) left behind in the pot. I'm guessing this is "cold break."...mission accomplished.

So here's my question, let's say for argument's sake that the wort goes into a plate chiller at 200 and comes out at 80. So, is the "cold break" actually happening inside the chiller? If so, doesn't that gunk up the plate chiller?

Sort of diving in head first into all of this (my plate chiller should be here any day!)...and trying to get my arms around all this...so thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Davegrande

Yes, cold break is happening in the chiller.

No, it doesn't gunk up the chiller. It's a gelatinous type of substance and it ends up flowing through the chiller just fine in my experience.

Just a heads up, you WILL need to keep hop particles out of your plate chiller or it will clog up very quickly.

Yes, cold break is happening in the chiller.

No, it doesn't gunk up the chiller. It's a gelatinous type of substance and it ends up flowing through the chiller just fine in my experience.

Just a heads up, you WILL need to keep hop particles out of your plate chiller or it will clog up very quickly.

Thanks!!! If I use a bazooka tube on the valve and nylon mesh bags for the hops, will that be enough to stop crud from gunking up the cold plate?
Cheers,
Davegrande

I just use the nylon paint strainer bags from Lowe's/Home Depot attached to a "Hop Spider". Works great!

Back