Important Question....ANy help would be GREAT!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxsoccerguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first off - thanks for looking and (hopefully) offering up advice.

So, I am getting into kegging (finally!) and have run into a problem. So, my freezer that i'm converting is in Vermont (at my parents house) and the kegging equipment is currently with me (in Mass.). I am going home for christmas to make the switch, and would like to bring up a beer with me to put on tap. However, is this safe? Should I be kegging a beer, and then bringing it up (along with the co2 tank and all the other fixings) with me on a 4.5 hour drive? The day I will be going up to Vermont, I will be teaching a half of day, so the keg and co2 tank will be sitting in the car along with all the other stuff and christmas presents for about 4 hours.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, or hard to read. However, If anybody has any advice or can help me out...I would be SO grateful!! Thanks all!

Are you asking if it OK to take your cornie on a 4 hours drive? Has it bee carbed? Will it be cold? I don't really see much an issue on way or the other. If it is chilled you might want to keep it on ice.

Agree. Have done several 2 hr trips. Just let the keg rest a little once you reach your destination. I put the corny in a rubbermaid kitchen trash can and fill with ice. keep it upright by wedging the whole thing behind the passenger seat.

There is a sticky about CO2 stored in cars in the equipment/sanitation forum. Read that but can't imagine a problem in Vermont December temps.

since your beer is under 3 years old make sure you put it in the back seat and strap it into a baby seat.:D

Not that this is ideal but I once had a beer (a saison) that I had strapped in the front seat and moved twice with it an hour each way. Also in between we got flooded and I had to move the carboy several times due to it not having a living space at the time. I'm drinking the beer at this very moment and it's pretty tasty. (not that i recommend this type of behavior, oxidation and such).

So it's safe to put the kegged beer in he car, and full co2 for about 8 hours? And should I keep them connected to each other on the drive? Thanks for all your help everyone!!

No need to keep the keg on gas during the trip. And if you've properly purged the head space of any oxygen, you could travel washboard surfaces the whole way without fear of oxidizing the beer...

Cheers!

Thanks so much for the response!! I really appreciate it! Looks like I can go and grab my ingredients today

Back