120v PID set up -- look over this before I buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellot

Reaction score
I've been putting together parts for building something similar to Dennis Collin's HERMIT. I think I have what I need, but wanted to have some other eyes to look over it before I buy.

I only need the PID for the MLT. The heat exchanger has a 2kw element in it (yes, I have 20amp plugs in my garage).

From looking around on the forum for a week, here is what I think I need:

PID: Auber SYL-2352.

SSR: 25A

Heat Sink: 25A (From the website, it seems I need to make sure I run a fan on this with a 2kw element. Or for a few more dollars would I be better off with a 40A SSR/Heatsink?)

I can find SSRs and Heatsinks for a lot less on ebay. Is it worth it to buy from Auber? Saving a little money is not worth having problems.

Temp probe: RTD

Does this look like the right parts for the job?

+1 on the switch. For the sake of portability, I was thinking of setting it up in a box where I plug in the element into a regular 120v house plug on the outside of the box. I was thinking an on/off switch on this plug, so I can have manual on/off on the element without having to turn off the PID. (This would be an on/off switch between the SSR and element.)

Is that what you are talking about?

Or would I need to put something between the PID and SSR?

Are there pros/cons either way?

Well you could have a power switch to turn the box on and off. Do you need a switch between the ssr and element, I would say only if you want to run two different elements, the switch woul physically cut off the element.

Back