Another Keezer build... Jester Rip-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
running 2x4" vertically sounds a bit overkill to me. Structurally you'll only be supporting a couple of places where the bottom of the chest freezer has "feet" or bump outs. the 2x6s I used cover 80% of those feet and give me a large area to mount the caster. if there was anything I would beef up it's the casters themselves. Something with ball-bearing would make it loads easier to move around instead of the vulcanized rubber wheel on an axle. Even if the keezer weighed 1000lbs, each caster would only be supporting 250lbs which is well within the limits of a 2x4 or 2x6. I would also suggest using plenty wide wheels so you don't dent anything like hardwood floors or linoleum.

Hope this helps!

mtbiker278 said:
running 2x4" vertically sounds a bit overkill to me. Structurally you'll only be supporting a couple of places where the bottom of the chest freezer has "feet" or bump outs. the 2x6s I used cover 80% of those feet and give me a large area to mount the caster. if there was anything I would beef up it's the casters themselves. Something with ball-bearing would make it loads easier to move around instead of the vulcanized rubber wheel on an axle. Even if the keezer weighed 1000lbs, each caster would only be supporting 250lbs which is well within the limits of a 2x4 or 2x6. I would also suggest using plenty wide wheels so you don't dent anything like hardwood floors or linoleum.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this! It helps alot and saves some time/possibly $ on the dolly part which i will use to good wheels!

The skirt sits about 1-2" away from the freezer depending on how it's positioned. I also have fans that blow air up from the bottom to cool the sides. I highly recommend either wider spacing and an open bottom is you'll be using passive cooling. If you're actively cooling the coil you can get away with a narrower area. I would search for Hoppopottomus' build for more details.

I'm halfway thru my build. I have 7 kegs. The problem I'm running into is all the moisture building up is causing mold/mildew. I bought one of the largest wireless dehumidifiers on amazon but didn't notice a difference. Im thinking about adding a fan or possibly a second dehumidifier. Any other suggestions or advice?

I like brewing not scrubbing with bleach lol!

Yeah I ran into that problem as well. The best solution I found was to keep the keezer full, use a chemical dehumidifier (mentioned in this thread somewhere), and throwing a towels down on the bottom between the kegs. The towel ironically has the bigger impact.

My theory is that either the box on top, or the weight on the lid is causing moisture to get into the keezer. It's usually worst in the summer. Right now with the weather being relatively dry it hasn't been much of an issue.

Good Luck!

I'm halfway thru my build. I have 7 kegs. The problem I'm running into is all the moisture building up is causing mold/mildew. I bought one of the largest wireless dehumidifiers on amazon but didn't notice a difference. Im thinking about adding a fan or possibly a second dehumidifier. Any other suggestions or advice?

I like brewing not scrubbing with bleach lol!

I live not to far from Orland (Lowell, IN) and get the condensation issue when opening and closing the lid to often. I keep my temperature around 33F, so mold is not an issue. My fermentation chamber which is a 14.8 Cf chest freezer requires me to clean it between uses to ensure I don't get any mold, I keep that between 50F and 68F. I use a clorox spray to wipe it down with and it works well.

Hope this helps, Castermmt

Well I have sad news. I think the compressor in my freezer S$%@ the bed last night. The fans I have attached to the power strip controlled by the johnson controller are continuously running, but I don't hear any compressor noise, and the temp is reading around 58 degrees (previously 38).

Sad to say but I'm either going to have to find the exact same freezer for cheap, or start a whole new build.:mad:

Well I have sad news. I think the compressor in my freezer S$%@ the bed last night. The fans I have attached to the power strip controlled by the johnson controller are continuously running, but I don't hear any compressor noise, and the temp is reading around 58 degrees (previously 38).

Sad to say but I'm either going to have to find the exact same freezer for cheap, or start a whole new build.:mad:

I know this thread hasn't been busy, but I was excited to read about the build and then to find out it crapped out was sad. Have you done anything yet? I'm about to get started on my 8.8.

I think best case scenario is finding a freezer with the exact same dimensions that'll work with the cabinet. I did see one 14.8cuft freezer on craigslist on a quick glance, but seems iffy. part of me also think using a new freezer might be better. I really liked one guys upright freezer design for easy loading. If I keep the current one I think I'll go with Jester idea of using gas struts or a linear actuator to lift the lid.

I'm going to talk to my buddy that works on boat A/C and fridge/freezer systems about compressor cycling cause I think that was part of the issue. One of the vibration dampening springs broke and you could hear the pump rocking back and forth and that is usually the death knell for any fridge or freezer.

Back